• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father wants to give up parental rights..can i?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

concerned0782

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL

I would like to sign away my parental rights to my son. I have not seen my son nor had any contact with him in over 2 yrs not by my choice but his mothers. I have ALWAYS paid my child support on time, everytime and have decided i want to give up my rights. In the state of alabama can I voluntarily do this or do I have to have the childs mothers permission? Or can his step father adopt him or what? Do I still have to pay child support if i give up my rights?? What do I need to do to make this happen if at all possible??

Any suggestions???

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I would like to sign away my parental rights to my son. I have not seen my son nor had any contact with him in over 2 yrs not by my choice but his mothers. I have ALWAYS paid my child support on time, everytime and have decided i want to give up my rights. In the state of alabama can I voluntarily do this or do I have to have the childs mothers permission? Or can his step father adopt him or what? Do I still have to pay child support if i give up my rights?? What do I need to do to make this happen if at all possible??

Any suggestions???
Have you tried to get a court order for visitation? Have you tried to enforce said court order? The stepfather would have to WANT to adopt. The fact that this is posted under child support leads me to believe tha tyou just dont' want to financially support your child. Which means quite frankly you are pathetic. If you wanted visitation there are ways of accomplishing that. But it is more important to you to not pay anything, right?

AHA

Any suggestions???
That's not her choice to make, so why are you letting her rule your potential life with your child???

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's not her choice to make, so why are you letting her rule your potential life with your child???
Because HE CHOSE TO ALLOW HER. See he is wrong -- it has been his choice that he has not had a relationship with his child. If he wanted to he could have fought for it in court. He could have filed motions to enforce if he was given a visitation order. He CHOSE not to take these steps.

He then believes by him not doing anything proactive that he can blame mom rather than stepping up to actually be a contributing parent.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Like you've been told, you cannot voluntarily relinquish the right to support this child unless Mom's husband wants to adopt. Even then, you will still owe arrearages. It is against the law in the state of Alabama for those arrearages to be forgiven in an adoption case.

Section 26-10A-34
Payments to parent for placing minor for adoption; maternity expenses; receipt of financial benefits by father.

(a) It shall be a Class A misdemeanor for any person or agency to offer to pay money or anything of value to a parent for the placement for adoption, for the consent to an adoption, or for cooperation in the completion of an adoption of his or her minor. It shall be a Class C felony for any person or agency to pay money or anything of value to a parent for the placement of a child for adoption, for the consent to an adoption, or for cooperation in the completion of an adoption of his or her minor. This section does not make it unlawful to pay the maternity-connected medical or hospital and necessary living expenses of the mother preceding and during pregnancy-related incapacity as an act of charity, as long as the payment is not contingent upon placement of the minor for adoption, consent to the adoption, or cooperation in the completion of the adoption.

(b) It shall be a Class C felony for any person or agency to receive any money or other thing of value for placing, assisting, or arranging a minor placement. This section is not intended to prohibit legitimate charges for medical, legal, prenatal, or other professional services.

(c) Surrogate motherhood is not intended to be covered by this section.
(Acts 1990, No. 90-554, p. 912, §33.)
Section 26-10A-34

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Here's another interesting link

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

my husband is having open heart surgery this thursday feb11th. he will be out of work for at least 3 months for sure and has already been off work for one month so far and is receiving his std checks weekly.

My question is...he has a child support order in effect to pay 353.00 each payperiod which is about 706.00 a month and has been and we actually have it garnished from his check each payperiod so we don't have to receive any ugly phone calls from her(ex) or any nasty text messages.

Now having said that my husband is extremely afraid of going back to court because her attorney is actually best friends with the judge so even back when she had filed for a modification for more child support she was awarded much more than what she should have received because she flat out lied about her income. So we totally got screwed. Since then she is no longer working at walmart making 10.25 an hour but has actually opened up her own business as a photographer.

So like i was saying my husband is scared of going to file for a modification bc she could lie about her income now since there really is no way to prove how much she is really actually making especially if she is paid in cash. So what is your best advice for my husband and I.

Also this woman is totally about the money and not the child she could care less about him actually even this child who is 8 years old states he wants to come live with me my husband and our 2 yr old little baby girl.

So anyway I just want things to be fair and just that is all. We have no problems paying CS but we know we are totally getting screwed right now paying her 707.00 a month.

i mean the type of woman you are dealing with is one who had asked my husband to drop the child from his insurance policy so she could put him on medicare because she was sick and tired of having to pay 20.00 copays at the drs office as well as copays for the child rx. so maybe you can get a better idea of what she is like she learned all of this from her mother who had 5 kids all with different fathers and is always milking the system any and every which way they can. its totally pathetic!

please we need some words of encouragement and advice. thank you kindly :)

Ericade85

i totally agree with the fact that this father could have went to court and fought for visitation....obviously its not very important....and if he has been paying the support and not seeing the child he needs to just keep on doing what he is doing....i am sure that the amount of support he pays is still not a drop in the bucket to what the mom and step dad actually spend on the child......i am proud to say that my husband pays his child support and proudly fought and recieved court ordered visitation because we were in the same situation....

It takes courage to be in a childs life....and a lazy piece of crap to want to take the easy way out and sign away rights.....THAT JUST MAKES ME SICK!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">