• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fathers rights for unborn child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

legalissues

wow

rmet4nzkx said:
This question is not about the rights of the father of an unborn child, it is about how you can hold on to your boyfriend and I think you are seeing first hand that you have no rights to hold him, have already lost him and to do so is a big mistake. The problem is whether or not any of the story is true about her being pregnant, having him proved the father through CVS or amnio both of which only have about a 2 % risk of miscarriage and the fact that he can file with the court for paternity and keep her there, if nay of it is true, he will be a part of that child's and her life for the next 21 years. You already have a good idea how reliable he is by his actions here and the fact that he cheated on her with you.

Change the locks, change your email addy, change your phone number and move to FL when your lease is up, don't look back and hope your birth control method was good.
Wow ok. Was not trying to just keep him, just wanted to know all the legal facts.

rmet4nzkx

legalissues said:
Wow ok. Was not trying to just keep him, just wanted to know all the legal facts.
Those are the legal facts with a dose of reality,
Bottom line, if the child is his, they will be involved for the next 21 years and he has already made a choice, cut your losses.

nextwife

I'm thinking "obsessive, looney, possessive ex-GF" = Glenn Close in Fatal Atraction.

Actually, if BF can con Ex GF into sharing a copy of this supposed DNA "proof", and it is ACTUAL DNA proof, he may be able to go file NOW to establish paternal rights, jt. custody upon birth, and restrict move aways. He SHOULD consult an attorney and see if prenatal DNA paternity establishment may be used for filing..

legalissues

thanks

nextwife said:
I'm thinking "obsessive, looney, possessive ex-GF" = Glenn Close in Fatal Atraction.

Actually, if BF can con Ex GF into sharing a copy of this supposed DNA "proof", and it is ACTUAL DNA proof, he may be able to go file NOW to establish paternal rights, jt. custody upon birth, and restrict move aways. He SHOULD consult an attorney and see if prenatal DNA paternity establishment may be used for filing..
Thanks, he had said he was trying to placate her until he got to the lawyer this wk, incase everything she was threatening was true. he was going to this wk. I just wanted a heads up on the reality of this situation from noninvolved parties. Thanks again I appreciate the help.

legalissues

Op

stealth2 said:
LOL How much y'all wanna bet the dude's two-timing OP?
I have never used this site before/What is OP?And I was asking these questions to get a reality check on the situation, it's embarassing enough I possibly am being conned, I certainly wasnt trying to give some people a good laugh on here.

OP = original poster.

You will find that while some good advice is given here, some people get kicks out of trying to make other feel bad. Just take the good advice and ignore the a$$holes (and there are plenty).

I think you did a good thing in wanting to get all of the facts before you made any decisions concerning this guy. My non-legal advice however is that if this guy is the father and you're with him, you are in for years and years of aggravation from the child's mother – better to cut your losses now.

Last edited:
nextwife said:

Actually, he can't file until there is a live birth...Reason being that a pregnancy can be lost at any time...(I lost one at 5 months) and a fetus is not considered actionable at least in Illinois...If they allowed fathers to try to establish paternity during pregnancy, the mother could do the same...paternity and visitation require a live birth....Just an FYI.. :) I also doubt that a DNA test was established because the post indicates that it is very early into the pregnancy....Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure most amnios are done after the 5 month mark to lessen the risk to the baby....This also prevents doctors from being sued.....

Also, if an amnio or invitro DNA (or whatever it's called) was done they would have to have the guy's DNA to match it to. Did your guy say that he submitted a DNA profile? How can they tell it's his if they didn't have someone to match it to? Perhaps I missed something.

VeronicaGia

Exactly! When did your bf give his DNA sample? When did he receive a court order to give the DNA sample? First, I don't believe there was a DNA test done. Second, unless it was court ordered, it means nothing.

It sounds like your bf is trying to end it with you.

nextwife

critterperson said:
Actually, he can't file until there is a live birth...Reason being that a pregnancy can be lost at any time...(I lost one at 5 months) and a fetus is not considered actionable at least in Illinois...If they allowed fathers to try to establish paternity during pregnancy, the mother could do the same...paternity and visitation require a live birth....Just an FYI.. :) I also doubt that a DNA test was established because the post indicates that it is very early into the pregnancy....Please correct me if I am wrong, but I am pretty sure most amnios are done after the 5 month mark to lessen the risk to the baby....This also prevents doctors from being sued.....
Hon, if anyone know understands about a pregnancy not always going full term, it is I. BTDT.

However. if by some odd chance looney ex GF DID have SOMETHING that she actually had a DNA analysis done from (remember Monica L's dress?) it might be possible to establish a jurisdiction and paternity SUBJECT TO a successful live birth.

Theoretically, if a dad CAN establish his paternity prenatally, why shouldn't he ba able to have his ducks in a row and have the same right as mom to access his child from birth? FYI- I did have a CVS test due to other risks, no it did not cause the miscarriage, and yes, sometimes we do have genetic testing (mine was NOT for paternity establishment) during the pregnancy.

Last edited:
nextwife said:
Hon, if anyone know understands about a pregnancy not always going full term, it is I. BTDT.

However. if by some odd chance looney ex GF DID have SOMETHING that she actually had a DNA analysis done from (remember Monica L's dress?) it might be possible to establish a jurisdiction and paternity SUBJECT TO a successful live birth.

Theoretically, if a dad CAN establish his paternity prenatally, why shouldn't he ba able to have his ducks in a row and have the same right as mom to access his child from birth? FYI- I did have a CVS test due to other risks, no it did not cause the miscarriage, and yes, sometimes we do have genetic testing (mine was NOT for paternity establishment) during the pregnancy.
You are right...Basically, what I was trying to say is that a court will not hear arguments that would prevent her from moving before the child is born....regardless of weather they have DNA proving invetro that the child is his....Because if the pregnancy did terminate they would have restricted her move for no reason...When a woman is pregnant it is her choice weather she keeps the child, and where she lives...He will not be able to prevent her from moving.... that is my point.....His best bet is to make sure that he files with the punitative fathers registry within 30 days after the birth to insure his rights...Before the birth there are no rights to get**************Until that baby is born it is up to the mother to decide what is in its best interest......If moving is what she wants to do.... then he can't stop her.....

rmet4nzkx

critterperson said:
Yes either mother or putative father can initiate a paternity action in any state, what progress is made may depend on the state and the specific statutes. In this case, if indeed there is a Court appropved DNA test result available it is possible for a judge to rule on paternity and make other rulings. Since the mother has control over her body, most likely she would not be ordered to do a prenatal paternity test by court order unless there was some form of child endangerment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">