• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fight about Braces: Please Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

q4life

:confused:What is the name of your state? NY

My ex husband has both of our kids covered under his insurance for medical and dental. Recently he told me he was scheduling an appointment for our son to be fitted for braces. He claimed that his insurance would pay for most of it. I asked him to get an estimate from the orthodontist since most of the expenses may not be covered and depending on how much it is we can split the expense.

A few weeks later he comes to me and says that the orthodontist was goint to be expensive and that he can give me a payment plan. I in turn asked him to rewind the story since we agreed to split any extra costs. Then he said that since he is paying insurance out of his pay he shouldnt have to pay for anything else. I was really upset with that whole discussion and hung up on him. Later on that evening his current wife calls me supporting that answer saying that they shouldnt have to pay anything other than what goes to the insurance out of his pay.

Am I missing something here? Can he really dump this expense on me? I was so furious I am ready to modify my CS which has stayed the same since 1998.

What should I do and what can I do?

Last edited:

Silverplum

:confused:What is the name of your state? NY

My ex husband has both of our kids covered under his insurance for medical and dental. Recently he told me he was scheduling an appointment for our son to be fitted for braces. He claimed that his insurance would pay for most of it. I asked him to get an estimate from the orthodontist since most of the expenses may not be covered and depending on how much it is we can split the expense.

A few weeks later he comes to me and says that the orthodontist was goint to be expensive and that he can give me a payment plan. I in turn asked him to rewind the story since we agreed to split any extra costs. Then he said that since he is paying insurance out of his pay he shouldnt have to pay for anything else. I was really upset with that whole discussion and hung up on him. Later on that evening his current wife calls me supporting that answer saying that they shouldnt have to pay anything other than what goes to the insurance out of his pay.

Am I missing something here? Can he really dump this expense on me? I was so furious I am ready to modify my CS which has stayed the same since 1998.

What should I do and what can I do?
Who pays CS? You or Dad?

:eek: so they pay "probably" around $20-40 a month for dental insurance (entire family premium plan) and that is a fair "split" on the rest?:eek:

I paid $3000 while my insurance (not me) paid the other $1500. of course i was paying $35 a month in premiums on top of that. the fairest split would be dividing the monthly installments....in my case, after the initial $600 down plus $100 setup fee, my payments were $100 a month for 24 months. the insurance paid the rest quarterly.

i quess he figures his $40 a month (which covers his entire family dental needs) is the same as you paying $100 a month for his braces:rolleyes:....lol

TinkerBelleLuvr

what is in the court order about out-of-pocket medical expenses, and how they are split? anything in there where there has to be agreement PRIOR to the treatment starting?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">