• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

file exceptions with interstate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buttons077

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj
I currently have a child support case in PA where the Ncp lives.
He has dragged me to court for 7 years for reductions and suspended the case.
The most recent order was place by the master. He continues to claim
disability.

Which state can I file exceptions to the masters recommendation?
JI only have about 20 days to get this to them.
I also cannot get up to the courthouse in his state. Most of my interactions
have been over the phone. But, since I am asking that a judge review this
not sure what to do?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nj
I currently have a child support case in PA where the Ncp lives.
He has dragged me to court for 7 years for reductions and suspended the case.
The most recent order was place by the master. He continues to claim
disability.

Which state can I file exceptions to the masters recommendation?
JI only have about 20 days to get this to them.
I also cannot get up to the courthouse in his state. Most of my interactions
have been over the phone. But, since I am asking that a judge review this
not sure what to do?
If the original orders are in PA, then the case remains in PA until a court changes it. As long as one parent is still there, it's unlikely to be moved somewhere else without the agreement of both parents.

buttons077

Does anyone know if a judge will hear my case in nj since I dont live in pa...and
all of my conferences that the defendent went to court for have been over
the phone.
Again, this is a interstate case.

mistoffolees

Does anyone know if a judge will hear my case in nj since I dont live in pa...and
all of my conferences that the defendent went to court for have been over
the phone.
Again, this is a interstate case.
Please read what I wrote. If the original case was in PA, then it stays in PA unless both parties have left the state. A NJ judge has no business hearing the matter.

buttons077

yes I know it stays in pa...even though it doesnt make sense to me really.
I left 8 years ago.
It has always been easier for him than me for court. Since he has been the one going in to do something for his benefit.
My question is how can I get a video conference?
Since I cannot drive up there to attend.
I live to far away and cannot drive long distance...due to personal reasons

Proserpina

yes I know it stays in pa...even though it doesnt make sense to me really.
I left 8 years ago.

You did - but Dad didn't. That's the key.

It has always been easier for him than me for court. Since he has been the one going in to do something for his benefit.
My question is how can I get a video conference?
Since I cannot drive up there to attend.
I live to far away and cannot drive long distance...due to personal reasons

Does the court even allow video conferencing?

(Many don't)

Failing that, you need to do whatever it takes to either get yourself to court, or hire an attorney to represent you.

sandyclaus

If you cannot drive (due to whatever personal reasons), you may have to arrange for alternate transportation in order to appear. Think bus, train, or plane as some options.

Whether or not you can appear via video conference or telephonically will depend on the court, AND your particular reasons for not being able to get there to appear. You will probably have to reveal those "personal reasons" in order to see whether or not a judge can justify it, it is even possible.

sandyclaus

UPDATE: The PA family courts DO allow for telephonic or video conferencing for hearings:

Courts: Office of Domestic Relations

Can I participate in the conference/hearing by telephone?

Rule 1930.3 of the PA Rules of Civil Procedure allows a party to participate in a Domestic Relations proceeding by telephone, audiovisual or other electronic means “with the approval of the Court upon good cause shown.” The intent of this rule is to make it possible for a party to provide information and hear information presented by the other party during support conferences or hearings when it is not possible to attend. Common examples include parties who live in another state or out of the Lancaster County area.

To request the approval of the Court, the person who wants to participate by telephone should complete and submit the attached form to Domestic Relations as soon as the notice to appear is received – but at least 3 business days prior to the scheduled conference or hearing. Telephone Testimony Request Form

If a request for telephone testimony is approved by the Court, both parties in the support action will be notified. The party who is participating by telephone is responsible to mail or fax copies of all required information (such as pay stubs, tax returns, income/expense sheets, etc.) prior to the scheduled conference or hearing. This party will also be responsible for any long distance or collect call charges associated with this call.

A party who participates in a conference or hearing by telephone is expected to conduct themselves in the same manner as if they were presented in the conference room or Courtroom and must be available without interruption throughout the entire proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">