• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for contempt when the father lives in a different state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OrangeButterCat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am looking to file contempt charges for back arrears. I live in Colorado and the father lives in Montana. I feel like I should get a lawyer but I can not afford one, I understand low income individuals can get an attorney for free. So with out any experience I'm unsure if I should look for a free lawyer in Colorado or Montana. And along the same lines, do I file contempt forms through Colorado or through Montana? The original child support hearing was in Colorado where the father used to reside.

single317dad

File in the same court where the most recent order was issued.

You can find Colorado CSE here:

https://childsupport.state.co.us/siteuser/do/vfs/Frag?file=/cm:home.jsp

CSO286

Open a case with CO child support enforcement. No charge.
And they will interstate the case to Montana and request they enforce and do contempt.
Might take some time, but they do it for far less than it would cost you to pay an attorney.

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I am looking to file contempt charges for back arrears. I live in Colorado and the father lives in Montana. I feel like I should get a lawyer but I can not afford one, I understand low income individuals can get an attorney for free. So with out any experience I'm unsure if I should look for a free lawyer in Colorado or Montana. And along the same lines, do I file contempt forms through Colorado or through Montana? The original child support hearing was in Colorado where the father used to reside.

Here are links to the forms and instructions from the CO Courts Self-Help Center: http://www.courts.state.co.us/Forms/Forms_List.cfm?Form_Type_ID=108.

You don't need an attorney to file for contempt: you need to read and learn how to file a form. And yes, CSE can take over your enforcement case for you at no cost to you, if you want them to take care of it. They'll be handling everyone else, also.

Lixim

Good luck. We fought for years to get child support on me and didn't actually see any money until I was 17 ($58 a month...). My biological father lived in Ohio, but when they state of Texas finally caught wind of where he was they started garnishing his pay. He owes the state 16,000 but us nothing since my mom had me on medicaid when I was little. I'd say get a free lawyer, because there is a good chance that you might not see anything, unfortunately.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Good luck. We fought for years to get child support on me and didn't actually see any money until I was 17 ($58 a month...). My biological father lived in Ohio, but when they state of Texas finally caught wind of where he was they started garnishing his pay. He owes the state 16,000 but us nothing since my mom had me on medicaid when I was little. I'd say get a free lawyer, because there is a good chance that you might not see anything, unfortunately.
Pray tell, what 'free' lawyer? :cool:

Silverplum

Please stop. You don't know what you're saying, and you are giving no added value to a Colorado thread.

Find that free lawyer, be the hero.

CSO286

You did not fight, because you were not a party to the case. You may have been the subject of the case, but you couldn't fight for anything.

Why are you constantly consistently posting inaccurate and irrelevant advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">