• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing in Two states

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 2002, my husband went to court in the State of Arkansas to protest paternity for a child. The judge ruled in his favor and declared him not to be the father. The judge stated that the woman could not appeal in the State of Arkansas. Today, we received a packet in the mail stating that she has now filed in Colorado 9 years later. Does my husband have any rights?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

In 2002, my husband went to court in the State of Arkansas to protest paternity for a child. The judge ruled in his favor and declared him not to be the father. The judge stated that the woman could not appeal in the State of Arkansas. Today, we received a packet in the mail stating that she has now filed in Colorado 9 years later. Does my husband have any rights?
**A: explain the 9 years later part.

curious80

**A: explain the 9 years later part.
A judge ruled in 2002 that my husband was not the father of this child. We have not heard much from the girl until she found me on a social network a few years back and harassed me about my husband. Today, we received paperwork from the State of Colorado naming him in another child support case with the same woman.

HomeGuru

A judge ruled in 2002 that my husband was not the father of this child. We have not heard much from the girl until she found me on a social network a few years back and harassed me about my husband. Today, we received paperwork from the State of Colorado naming him in another child support case with the same woman.
**A: but for a different child correct?

mistoffolees

WE didn't receive anything. It's not your problem.

Have your husband come here and create his own account to ask his questions. He will have all the relevant information.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
His attorney can advise him of the steps needed to deal with this.

curious80

WE didn't receive anything. It's not your problem.

Have your husband come here and create his own account to ask his questions. He will have all the relevant information.
We did receive it. I have been dealing with this matter with my husband and it affects him, myself and our two kids. I have been with him since the beginning of this mess. So I have the information. I was there during the trial.

curious80

His attorney can advise him of the steps needed to deal with this.
Thank you. We are going to try to consult the attorney that handled the original case and see where we go from there. I just needed to know if this was legal. My mother in law has the letter stating that she can appeal again.

mistoffolees

We did receive it. I have been dealing with this matter with my husband and it affects him, myself and our two kids. I have been with him since the beginning of this mess. So I have the information. I was there during the trial.
Read the sticky at the top of the page. I can guarantee that WE did not receive it. You are not a party to the process at all - and we're here to help people with their own legal problems - not meddling third parties.

And I guarantee that you do NOT have all the information.

Read the sticky and then have Dad sign up with his own account.

curious80

Read the sticky at the top of the page. I can guarantee that WE did not receive it. You are not a party to the process at all - and we're here to help people with their own legal problems - not meddling third parties.

And I guarantee that you do NOT have all the information.

Read the sticky and then have Dad sign up with his own account.
I am not a meddling third party. I am trying to find out information to help my husband. If that makes me meddling then I guess I am guilty. I just came to this site because it said Free Advice not Free Judgement. I am sorry that I actually came on here thinking I would be able to get some information for my husband and help the situation instead of being one of those women that hinder the situation. This is going to affect my life and my kids lives. I just wanted to know if the woman had legal rights to do this. That way we can know where to go from here. He is in shock right now and not knowing how to deal with it. I am sorry for trying to help someone especially on this site.

mistoffolees

I am not a meddling third party. I am trying to find out information to help my husband. If that makes me meddling then I guess I am guilty. I just came to this site because it said Free Advice not Free Judgement. I am sorry that I actually came on here thinking I would be able to get some information for my husband and help the situation instead of being one of those women that hinder the situation. This is going to affect my life and my kids lives. I just wanted to know if the woman had legal rights to do this. That way we can know where to go from here. He is in shock right now and not knowing how to deal with it. I am sorry for trying to help someone especially on this site.
As you've been told (repeatedly), this site is for people who have a problem to get help. It is NOT a site for meddling third parties to demand assistance from the volunteers.

Since you apparently can't even be bothered to read the sticky, there are many good reasons most of the volunteers won't help third parties:
1. Third parties almost never have all the needed information. Even if you were at the hearing, a lot went on before that which could be relevant.
2. Third parties can't do a thing. You have no standing to be legally involved.
3. Third party interference can actually make things worse - even potentially costing a parent their time with the child(ren).
4. If the person who is involved can't even get up the energy to post their questions here, it is extremely unlikely that they'll follow through - so it's a waste of the volunteers' time to try to help.

curious80

As you've been told (repeatedly), this site is for people who have a problem to get help. It is NOT a site for meddling third parties to demand assistance from the volunteers.

Since you apparently can't even be bothered to read the sticky, there are many good reasons most of the volunteers won't help third parties:
1. Third parties almost never have all the needed information. Even if you were at the hearing, a lot went on before that which could be relevant.
2. Third parties can't do a thing. You have no standing to be legally involved.
3. Third party interference can actually make things worse - even potentially costing a parent their time with the child(ren).
4. If the person who is involved can't even get up the energy to post their questions here, it is extremely unlikely that they'll follow through - so it's a waste of the volunteers' time to try to help.
It is apparent that you did not read what I posted. I was trying to get advice to be helpful. Should I have worded my question to sound something like this:

Is is possible for a woman to file for child support again after being denied in one state where the judge deemed the man not the father and in the appeal stated she can't ever bring this man in court again?

Let me know. I read the sticky it says that this site is meant to help with my legal issues. I understand that this is my husband's paternity issue and I found this site on my own trying to get advice so I could help my husband. My question still remains, is this legal. That is all I wanted to know. I was not trying to come on here to argue with you or anyone else. We have obtained the letter from the State of Arkansas from his mother and will be calling the State of Colorado Monday. I have read all of this to my husband and all we really want to know is can she do it.

Proserpina

It is apparent that you did not read what I posted. I was trying to get advice to be helpful. Should I have worded my question to sound something like this:

Is is possible for a woman to file for child support again after being denied in one state where the judge deemed the man not the father and in the appeal stated she can't ever bring this man in court again?

Let me know. I read the sticky it says that this site is meant to help with my legal issues. I understand that this is my husband's paternity issue and I found this site on my own trying to get advice so I could help my husband. My question still remains, is this legal. That is all I wanted to know. I was not trying to come on here to argue with you or anyone else. We have obtained the letter from the State of Arkansas from his mother and will be calling the State of Colorado Monday. I have read all of this to my husband and all we really want to know is can she do it.

Evidently she can, because she already has.

The question is what can be done about it.

And that's what your HUSBAND needs to be asking.

(By the way - there isn't a court in the land that can order her NEVER to take him to court again. That is completely unenforceable).

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

She's DONE it. :rolleyes: All your husband can do is respond.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">