• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finishing child support obligation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mtheluckyone

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

In January of 2016 my child support obligation is coming to an end as my last child is turning 21. He is in college and at that time will be close to finishing his third year. I had retained an attorney in the past but now he is retired. Do you think that I will or should need the representation of an attorney for this important event?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It has always been my opinion thar if you need to ask whether you need a lawyer? You likely do.

A

ash_78

If the order for child support had the end date at 21 you can just stop payments, if did not contain and end day you have to file a motion to end the support. Because it is simple thing to do at this point, you probably want to price an attorney doing it for you since it should be a low cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">