• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Child Supprt Calculator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'mTheFather

Yes, mom has her own residence that they stay at. Yes mom has a 2010 vehicle paid off by myself before we separated. Yes that vehicles is used for my son as well as her own use. My son is 3...no diapers or formula just regular food. I understand what your saying and yes I still have factor to these things in along with the debt she left me, which was a lot. Of course that want be considered even though my debt deficit knocks off around $3000 a month off my income.
All that should balance out in the divorce papers. There's no reason you should be left with all responsibility for the debt. But those are marital finance issues, not child support. Child support generally goes by the calculator, maybe with a little give and take.

You won't be paying $200/month.

jagretzky02

Haha, that's priceless!
Yes priceless...well let me clue you in for the first six months we were separated we had a equal 50/50 split every other day with overnight during the week and every other weekend. During this time I calculated several times how much on average it cost me to have my son and to be honest it was roughly around $400 for just him and that was the high side even with having a baby sitter watch him for an hour on the mornings that during the week that I had him.Yes during this time i bought him plenty of clothes and toys along with the necessities. Not sure why this is so priceless to you...he is a 3 year old boy, not three 16 year old kids.

jagretzky02

All that should balance out in the divorce papers. There's no reason you should be left with all responsibility for the debt. But those are marital finance issues, not child support. Child support generally goes by the calculator, maybe with a little give and take.

I understand I won't be paying $200 a month, and yes I know those are martial finical issues. What point was is how can you say myself makes $6000 a month when I pay well over $3000 for debt my ex and I occurred and she walks away with a clean state and a pretty new paid off car. Realistically I am making around $3000 to her $1500. Well hopefully it will but the more I look at it the more I am getting screwed...in the end she is gonna have a paycheck every week and I will have nothing....but hey thats life so its gotta be fair.

Silverplum

I understand I won't be paying $200 a month, and yes I know those are martial finical issues. What point was is how can you say myself makes $6000 a month when I pay well over $3000 for debt my ex and I occurred and she walks away with a clean state and a pretty new paid off car. Realistically I am making around $3000 to her $1500. Well hopefully it will but the more I look at it the more I am getting screwed...in the end she is gonna have a paycheck every week and I will have nothing....but hey thats life so its gotta be fair.
You are welcome to consult an attorney.

jagretzky02

You are welcome to consult an attorney.
I already have....I was here to get a second opinion to see if the numbers looked correct as I am sure there are others in similar instances in Florida. I know every situation is different just wanted a general idea as I know nothing about divorces or law...except both are expensive.

I'mTheFather

I already have....I was here to get a second opinion to see if the numbers looked correct as I am sure there are others in similar instances in Florida. I know every situation is different just wanted a general idea as I know nothing about divorces or law...except both are expensive.
And did the attorney say your numbers are correct?

Ladyback1

And that is not the child's fault....

if you were still together, it wouldn't even cross your mind to calculate how much it costs per day/week to raise a 3 y/o.

You haven't even got a divorce, yet...and you're complaining your getting screwed??:confused:
What legal paperwork do you have that says your responsible for the $3000 debt and that she has a "pretty new paid off car"?

Have you filed for a divorce? If not, do so....and consult an attorney so that the divorce is equitable for everyone!

Just Blue

Goodness...It is a better idea to seek a 2nd opinion from another LOCAL ATTORNEY rather than strangers on the net. IMHO. :)

Hope all work out for you, the children and Mom.

Blue:)

LdiJ

But you told him his numbers jive when he said he pays $200 in child support. :confused:
At the time, I was under the impression that he felt that he was paying too much, and I was trying to indicate to him that he was actually getting a VERY good deal...that he was paying far less than normal and that it obviously accounted for parenting time. I was also under the impression that it was a temporary order. Now that I realize that it is not a temporary order but something that he came up with on his own, I would have worded that differently.

LdiJ

Depending on the length of your marriage, you may also be paying some alimony/spousal support as well for a while.

I will also tell you, as a woman who has been in your position, if your credit rating is important to you, you may want to consider negotiating being responsible for the marital debt in exchange for reduced or no alimony/spousal support...or an uneven split of marital assets. Even if you end up paying full child support, the odds that she is going to be able to service any of your marital debt on her income plus child support, is pretty slim.

Please note that marital assets include anything that accrued during the marriage, including savings (even if in separate accounts), retirement accounts, brokerage accounts, equity in the marital home, etc. If the marital home has significant equity then selling it and paying off the marital debt first, before dividing debt could be very practical.

Basically, you have more to consider than just child support/spousal support. You have to consider the debt load and how to deal with it while also preserving your credit rating. Your tax bracket is going to change as well. Your ex will benefit from that because her tax bracket will be low. You will not, because your tax bracket will increase.

jagretzky02

Depending on the length of your marriage, you may also be paying some alimony/spousal support as well for a while.

I will also tell you, as a woman who has been in your position, if your credit rating is important to you, you may want to consider negotiating being responsible for the marital debt in exchange for reduced or no alimony/spousal support...or an uneven split of marital assets. Even if you end up paying full child support, the odds that she is going to be able to service any of your marital debt on her income plus child support, is pretty slim.

Please note that marital assets include anything that accrued during the marriage, including savings (even if in separate accounts), retirement accounts, brokerage accounts, equity in the marital home, etc. If the marital home has significant equity then selling it and paying off the marital debt first, before dividing debt could be very practical.

Basically, you have more to consider than just child support/spousal support. You have to consider the debt load and how to deal with it while also preserving your credit rating. Your tax bracket is going to change as well. Your ex will benefit from that because her tax bracket will be low. You will not, because your tax bracket will increase.
Thank you I will look into all of this. I have split up the debt and such and martial assets, which I have figured out that I am gonna have to pay her around $9000 in order to keep my house and boat. I added all the assets values together that we have which was house, boat, and car. I kept the house and boat as she kept the car (boat and car paid off and $20000 in equity on house) Split those assets and I owed her about $3700. Split my 401k with her as well as hers, which I owed her additional $7000 and deducted the split difference of the incurred debt, which worked out to around $9000. I think I have that pretty well figured out, it was just really the child support I was curious about. I really don't have $250 to keep seeking additional attorney opinions...that's why I figured I would ask here. Yes I figured the child support on my own to be proactive and wanted to make sure she had money to provide for my son during the process of our divorce. The problem is that I couldn't get a solid child support number and the reason why I figure I would ask here. My lawyer seems to think that what I am paying is close to what I should be, mediator says I should be paying around $200 more then what I am paying. Both told me these numbers could change in court as the judge has the final say based upon what he sees in the papers as far as custody arrangements and such. I wanted to see if I was going to be in for a big surprise when I made it to court or if my numbers were close. I appreciate the help and advice...I guess at this point I just have to wait and see in court what the final verdict is.

Thanks again

itguy76

Chart

Don't know Florida law, but there is a Florida Chart that says for 1 child, total combined monthly income of 7500, the support should be 1251 per month, not including Medical Insurance. You have slightly more than standard visitation rights, but not enough to justify much if any of a discount. I could be over simplifying, but I think you would take 1251 * 0.80 = 1000.80 given you make 80% of the combined income. There are a lot of various expenses and costs associated with the child, you should get credit for the $600 daycare, but I assume she'll get credit for other things not mentioned. You should at least be paying her $400 per month, and taking on cost of Medical Insurance. My guess would be you'll have to pay much more than this once the court orders are done. Don't skimp on a lawyer, not to screw her out of money, but to make sure you know everything is correct and fair, if you or her feel that the result is unfair, it will be a source of conflict from now on.

Also keep records of everything, Days and times you had your son, all expenses paid, all support paid, you will have to prove you paid all this money, otherwise it won't count.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">