• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Child Supprt Calculator

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jagretzky02

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Curious on how the Child support calculator works. A while back I went off the cs calculator for florida to determine what I should pay after separating from my ex. I am not to confident in the numbers I received and wanted a second opinion as I was make sure I am paying close to the correct amount. Currently I am paying $600 a month to my sons daycare and $200 a month to my ex cause Fl sc calculator says i should be paying roughly $800 a month. Currently I have my son every other day during the week from 3pm to 8pm and every other weekend over night, every other holiday and occasionally I take him an extra day or two a month during the week overnight. Would this be considered joint custody, split custody or what. I make around $6000 a month, pay 600 to day care and 60 for my sons health care. Ex makes roughly 1500 a month, pays zero towards healthcare and daycare. Does these numbers jive for the current custody that I have?

Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Curious on how the Child support calculator works. A while back I went off the cs calculator for florida to determine what I should pay after separating from my ex. I am not to confident in the numbers I received and wanted a second opinion as I was make sure I am paying close to the correct amount. Currently I am paying $600 a month to my sons daycare and $200 a month to my ex cause Fl sc calculator says i should be paying roughly $800 a month. Currently I have my son every other day during the week from 3pm to 8pm and every other weekend over night, every other holiday and occasionally I take him an extra day or two a month during the week overnight. Would this be considered joint custody, split custody or what. I make around $6000 a month, pay 600 to day care and 60 for my sons health care. Ex makes roughly 1500 a month, pays zero towards healthcare and daycare. Does these numbers jive for the current custody that I have?

Thanks
Yes, the numbers very much jive. Someone making 6000.00 a month would normally pay significantly more than you are paying for child support plus daycare, therefore you are obviously getting credit for the amount of time that your child spends with you. Running the numbers myself you would be closer to a total of 1800.00 a month.

I'mTheFather

Yes, the numbers very much jive. Someone making 6000.00 a month would normally pay significantly more than you are paying for child support plus daycare, therefore you are obviously getting credit for the amount of time that your child spends with you. Running the numbers myself you would be closer to a total of 1800.00 a month.
NO, that's not right!!

The calculator gives a credit for the daycare and medical, and the amount he should be giving to his wife for child support is about $800, not the $200 he currently gives her. Note that they are separated, not divorced, and he's figuring the child support on his own. It's not court ordered, yet.

jagretzky02

NO, that's not right!!

The calculator gives a credit for the daycare and medical, and the amount he should be giving to his wife for child support is about $800, not the $200 he currently gives her. Note that they are separated, not divorced, and he's figuring the child support on his own. It's not court ordered, yet.
So, what your saying is i should be paying the 600 towards daycare then an additional 800 to my ex for a total of 1400?

Silverplum

So, what your saying is i should be paying the 600 towards daycare then an additional 800 to my ex for a total of 1400?
Whatever the calculator shows.

You don't have to pay her at all till you're court-ordered. That would be quite unfriendly, of course.

jagretzky02

Whatever the calculator shows.

You don't have to pay her at all till you're court-ordered. That would be quite unfriendly, of course.
Yes I understand that but didn't want to have to backpay or anything, so I figured its better to pay something then nothing at all. My only concern is that 1400 a month seems to be a bit high considering how often I have my son, which I believe is joint custody. This whole thing is confusing and the numbers are a bit ridiculous cause I know it doesn't cost $800 a month to support a child, especially when his father has him probably 30-40 percent of the time. Am I wrong here or am I missing something?

Just Blue

;)
Yes I understand that but didn't want to have to backpay or anything, so I figured its better to pay something then nothing at all. My only concern is that 1400 a month seems to be a bit high considering how often I have my son, which I believe is joint custody. This whole thing is confusing and the numbers are a bit ridiculous cause I know it doesn't cost $800 a month to support a child, especially when his father has him probably 30-40 percent of the time. Am I wrong here or am I missing something?
Consult with an attorney who will have all the legal facts. It would be worth the 2-3 hundred fopr the consult.

I'mTheFather

And you make 4 times what your wife makes.

And you only have the child about 25% of the actual time. Not joint custody at all.

Last edited:

I'mTheFather

Haha, that's priceless!

Ladyback1

So....does Mom maintain a residence that she and the child inhabit? Does Mom have a vehicle that she has to maintain (and make payments on)? is that vehicle used for the benefit of the child (transporting child)? Does Mom have to pay utilities? Is Mom buying formula, diapers, etc.? Is Mom stocking her pantry so that there is always food in the house?

These things and more encompass what your child support payments are for. If not for the child, Mom could live in a loft apt w/ lower housing expenses. If not for the child, Mom could possibly use a bike or public transport for her travel needs. Mom wouldn't have the expense of formula, diapers, etc. if not for the child...

There are so many things to consider when you are talking about the cost of raising a child. I really don't think you are considering those things. Think of it this way---child support is to reimburse Mom for not only the actual expenses a child can incur, but also what Mom may incur as a result of having a child (your child by the way...)

LdiJ

NO, that's not right!!

I ran the numbers allowing him credit for 300.00 in health insurance and 800.00 in total daycare costs. It came to over 1800.00 for child support and daycare combined.

jagretzky02

So....does Mom maintain a residence that she and the child inhabit? Does Mom have a vehicle that she has to maintain (and make payments on)? is that vehicle used for the benefit of the child (transporting child)? Does Mom have to pay utilities? Is Mom buying formula, diapers, etc.? Is Mom stocking her pantry so that there is always food in the house?

These things and more encompass what your child support payments are for. If not for the child, Mom could live in a loft apt w/ lower housing expenses. If not for the child, Mom could possibly use a bike or public transport for her travel needs. Mom wouldn't have the expense of formula, diapers, etc. if not for the child...

There are so many things to consider when you are talking about the cost of raising a child. I really don't think you are considering those things. Think of it this way---child support is to reimburse Mom for not only the actual expenses a child can incur, but also what Mom may incur as a result of having a child (your child by the way...)
Yes, mom has her own residence that they stay at. Yes mom has a 2010 vehicle paid off by myself before we separated. Yes that vehicles is used for my son as well as her own use. My son is 3...no diapers or formula just regular food. I understand what your saying and yes I still have factor to these things in along with the debt she left me, which was a lot. Of course that want be considered even though my debt deficit knocks off around $3000 a month off my income.

I'mTheFather

I ran the numbers allowing him credit for 300.00 in health insurance and 800.00 in total daycare costs. It came to over 1800.00 for child support and daycare combined.
But you told him his numbers jive when he said he pays $200 in child support. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">