• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Florida Dad needs help in NC.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronDiesel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida, but case is in NC.

Brief history...A few years back, I was medically discharged from the USMC, I moved to Florida were my industry was thriving (Car Audio and Custom Cars), to start getting on my feet. Having split with my wife for her drug addiction and other things, I left my son with my mother, until I got financially stable, and had a permannent residence. I was at the time sending my mother half my pay which was around 200.00 per week. After about 2 years, I was going to go get my son, I had found out that my mother had gotten my ex wife to sign away her parental rights and gotten court ordered custody of my son. So after some yelling and disagreements, I spoke to my son who stated that he wanted to at least finish high school there before coming down to live with me. So i entered a verbal agreement with my mother to send here 1,000.00 permonth. Until the end of last year when I lost my job. I explained the situation to my mother, who immediately went to the dss and got a child support case going. Both my ex and I were ordered to pay child support. I have no problem with this, except I have had no job in my industry for 7 months, my unemployment pays the court ordered support, and i was still sending extra for them.

Here's the issue. My son has been allowed to drop out of school at 16...I had to send money to an old Marine Corps friend who is now a bail bondsman to get him out of jail for a potential felony, and he is not living with my mother, who doesn't even know where he lives. I have contacted Pitt County NC DSS and they only want me to speak to Child Support office, i speak to Child Support and they will not help with anything, other than to tell me to file a motion to modify child support. First, yes, i want to terminate support paid to my mother who has not even seen my son in a month and a half, but I cannot afford to drive to NC file a motion and appear in court etc. I also do not think that i can really afford an attorney to do it in my absence... Is there a way to file a motion and have it go before the judge without my personal appearance? I am trying to get my son down here with my wife and I after he goes to court, so I can try and get him back in school. I am stressed beyond belief. I feel very helpless and anything I can do, short of having to make a trip to NC would be the greatest thing in the world. Thank you to anyone who maybe can help me.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Florida, but case is in NC.

Brief history...A few years back, I was medically discharged from the USMC, I moved to Florida were my industry was thriving (Car Audio and Custom Cars), to start getting on my feet. Having split with my wife for her drug addiction and other things, I left my son with my mother, until I got financially stable, and had a permannent residence. I was at the time sending my mother half my pay which was around 200.00 per week. After about 2 years, I was going to go get my son, I had found out that my mother had gotten my ex wife to sign away her parental rights and gotten court ordered custody of my son. So after some yelling and disagreements, I spoke to my son who stated that he wanted to at least finish high school there before coming down to live with me. So i entered a verbal agreement with my mother to send here 1,000.00 permonth. Until the end of last year when I lost my job. I explained the situation to my mother, who immediately went to the dss and got a child support case going. Both my ex and I were ordered to pay child support. I have no problem with this, except I have had no job in my industry for 7 months, my unemployment pays the court ordered support, and i was still sending extra for them.

Here's the issue. My son has been allowed to drop out of school at 16...I had to send money to an old Marine Corps friend who is now a bail bondsman to get him out of jail for a potential felony, and he is not living with my mother, who doesn't even know where he lives. I have contacted Pitt County NC DSS and they only want me to speak to Child Support office, i speak to Child Support and they will not help with anything, other than to tell me to file a motion to modify child support. First, yes, i want to terminate support paid to my mother who has not even seen my son in a month and a half, but I cannot afford to drive to NC file a motion and appear in court etc. I also do not think that i can really afford an attorney to do it in my absence... Is there a way to file a motion and have it go before the judge without my personal appearance? I am trying to get my son down here with my wife and I after he goes to court, so I can try and get him back in school. I am stressed beyond belief. I feel very helpless and anything I can do, short of having to make a trip to NC would be the greatest thing in the world. Thank you to anyone who maybe can help me.
If you cannot afford to hire an attorney, you are going to have to do all the leg work and that includes personally appearing.

You will have to have custody modified prior to having child support stopped. It will continue until then.

So, how does your wife feel about bringing a juvenile delinquent that you abandoned several years ago into your home?

AaronDiesel

My wife supports me 100%, as she has seen that my son was not abandoned. I have provided for my son since day one. And if not for some underhanded moves by my own mother, who is basically trying to use my son for personal gain, I would not be asking for legal advice. I would be asking for opinions....which I did not. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antigone*

My wife supports me 100%, as she has seen that my son was not abandoned. I have provided for my son since day one. And if not for some underhanded moves by my own mother, who is basically trying to use my son for personal gain, I would not be asking for legal advice. I would be asking for opinions....which I did not. Thanks.
Sure, so involved in your son's life that you didn't even know he wasn't with your mom.

Just one more fact. My remarks were not underhanded. Get an attorney or appear on your own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">