• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

food stamps during divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JennK2009

Wisconsin

I am asking for my friend, Dad. He is going though a divorce and they have mutual minor children. The temp order says mom gets the house on weekdays and dad gets weekends. He is responsible for all household bills (mortgage, utilities, etc) and each need to feed the children on their time. The both work full time.

He found a letter stating that his wife is now getting food stamps. On his income alone, his family would not qualify. Is this something he should be concerned about? Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Dad is making great strides on handling his divorce, but tries to keep contempt charges to a minimum. He documents every slight he perceives, and tries to choose his battles wisely. He has had his paycheck garnished before, stemming from her financial carelessness. She recently motioned for supervised visits as well, so he’s pretty hot right now. The children are in counseling, so I told him to sit tight and if there is actual alienation, it will come out.

Thanks for any suggestions that don’t include buy them more food. He already does. But his food needs to be prepared – mom likes instant.

OHRoadwarrior

If he feels she has illegally misrepresented the basis of her application, he can report the issue to them clearly laying out the living situation. They will investigate and pursue remedies if she is found to have committed fraud.

CSO286

Wisconsin

I am asking for my friend, Dad. He is going though a divorce and they have mutual minor children. The temp order says mom gets the house on weekdays and dad gets weekends. He is responsible for all household bills (mortgage, utilities, etc) and each need to feed the children on their time. The both work full time.

He found a letter stating that his wife is now getting food stamps. On his income alone, his family would not qualify. Is this something he should be concerned about? Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Dad is making great strides on handling his divorce, but tries to keep contempt charges to a minimum. He documents every slight he perceives, and tries to choose his battles wisely. He has had his paycheck garnished before, stemming from her financial carelessness. She recently motioned for supervised visits as well, so he’s pretty hot right now. The children are in counseling, so I told him to sit tight and if there is actual alienation, it will come out.

Thanks for any suggestions that don’t include buy them more food. He already does. But his food needs to be prepared – mom likes instant.

A. No.
B. Put the letter back where he found it and stop snooping throiugh mom's mail.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Wisconsin

Why is this YOUR business? Mom can get food stamps.

Just Blue

Wisconsin

Dad should sign up and post for himself if he is interested in using this forum.

JennK2009

Thanks for the quick replies – you just made dad feel a whole lot better. As I said, he is responsible for all the household bills and she had hid something in the past that cost him and their kids, dearly. He’s on a very tight budget, still recovering. But, he doesn’t want to get his family in trouble – just questioning her decision. Thanks again.

The children’s counselor and GAL approved my involvement, strictly for the children. Things got super ugly for a while, but I’m out of the picture now that they are back on track with a beautiful new decree.

I know you understandably distrust third party questions, but his computer lessons are on the back burner, and he was getting overwhelmed. You just made his day a lot brighter.

Just Blue

Thanks for the quick replies – you just made dad feel a whole lot better. As I said, he is responsible for all the household bills and she had hid something in the past that cost him and their kids, dearly. He’s on a very tight budget, still recovering. But, he doesn’t want to get his family in trouble – just questioning her decision. Thanks again.

The children’s counselor and GAL approved my involvement, strictly for the children. Things got super ugly for a while, but I’m out of the picture now that they are back on track with a beautiful new decree.

I know you understandably distrust third party questions, but his computer lessons are on the back burner, and he was getting overwhelmed. You just made his day a lot brighter.
wow. Jenn, you are kinda creepy. :(

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I agree that all should read OP's posting h/x. Its nice to say that Dad is computer illiterate, but this is not a new situation that OP has been running interference for. Dad can't be bothered. plain and simple. And why should he? He has "his friend" to do all the legwork for him. And US to do it for her. I think one of them needs to pay a lawyer.

OHRoadwarrior

I wish I had a full service babysitter. :cool:

I agree that all should read OP's posting h/x. Its nice to say that Dad is computer illiterate, but this is not a new situation that OP has been running interference for. Dad can't be bothered. plain and simple. And why should he? He has "his friend" to do all the legwork for him. And US to do it for her. I think one of them needs to pay a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">