• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forced Arrears Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Father in PA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I live in Carbon County PA. I was ordered in December 2011 to pay child support in the amount of $875 plus arrears of $50.00. After the conference I was already $875 in arrears due to the back date of the filling. I did not have the money to pay the arrears and waited for the garnishment of the child support and arrears to be deducted from my pay check. Two weeks later the garnishment started for the regular child support payment and the arrears. 3 payments have been made this way. My ex is now threatening with a lawyer to force me to pay the arrears in full. Can she do this if I am already paying the arrears though garnishment of my pay check? My arrears before it started was $2000 now it is down to $1850 due to the 3 payments.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I live in Carbon County PA. I was ordered in December 2011 to pay child support in the amount of $875 plus arrears of $50.00. After the conference I was already $875 in arrears due to the back date of the filling. I did not have the money to pay the arrears and waited for the garnishment of the child support and arrears to be deducted from my pay check. Two weeks later the garnishment started for the regular child support payment and the arrears. 3 payments have been made this way. My ex is now threatening with a lawyer to force me to pay the arrears in full. Can she do this if I am already paying the arrears though garnishment of my pay check? My arrears before it started was $2000 now it is down to $1850 due to the 3 payments.
The court has ordered the arrears tacked on to the monthly amount until broughy current . She can threaten all she wants ,but the payments are now being made and I doubt the court will change it .

Pretty interesting she would want to spend money on a lawyer just to try and get a lump sum arrears.

Father in PA

BL,

Thanks for the fast reply. I feel much better now. I was pretty sure since the payments were being made by garnishment that there was nothing additional she could make me do.

I have no problems paying my support, they are my kids and I will do anything for them.

I think she is mad things are not going fast enough for her because she is spending the money faster than it is coming in.

Just was a bit unsure.

meanyjack

My ex is now threatening with a lawyer to force me to pay the arrears in full. Can she do this if I am already paying the arrears though garnishment of my pay check? My arrears before it started was $2000 now it is down to $1850 due to the 3 payments.
Tell your ex to find a sandbox...grab some sand and pound it.
Your ex's time to appeal this decision was within the specified amount of time (per statute -- which is usually 28-30 days) after the ruling was issued if she objected to it.

She can't do crap now except run her clueless mouth. Also advise her that if she continues to call you about this, you will consider it telephonic harassment and take legal action against her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">