• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign med school and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogdutch

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I'm trying to be proactive here and have very little knowledge with how this system works so bear with me and any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I am attending medical school in a foreign country and just received a request for voluntary paternity notice. Now I have not been served for child support yet but I know it is coming (might be her filing for medicaid as well). I feel that completing medical school would be in the best interest of all overall in the long run and respect the difficulties she now faces. I am in medical school full time and as such am not employed. My school just qualified for government loans and I will be pursuing those (parents have been helping so far). My questions include what is going to happen next, how can I prepare myself, can I be forced to leave school, what amount of child support will I be expected to pay, and anything else you guys think relevant. Thank you so much in advance.

ecmst12

They can't force you to leave school, but they WILL order you to pay support whether you choose to be employed or not, and you will have to face the consequences if you choose not to pay it.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I'm trying to be proactive here and have very little knowledge with how this system works so bear with me and any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I am attending medical school in a foreign country and just received a request for voluntary paternity notice. Now I have not been served for child support yet but I know it is coming (might be her filing for medicaid as well). I feel that completing medical school would be in the best interest of all overall in the long run and respect the difficulties she now faces. I am in medical school full time and as such am not employed. My school just qualified for government loans and I will be pursuing those (parents have been helping so far). My questions include what is going to happen next, how can I prepare myself, can I be forced to leave school, what amount of child support will I be expected to pay, and anything else you guys think relevant. Thank you so much in advance.
Clarification: The mother is in MN?

Antigone*

Yes, in a different town than me though.
Once you are named the child's father I suggest you do whatever you have to do to fulfill your obligation to your child. Beg or borrow, heck you can get mom and dad to give you more cash. The child deserves support from both mom and dad.

dogdutch

Like I said, I am very sympathetic to the situation, but I fear this is going to destroy my chances of a successful career and what could be a much better help for the child in the long run. I want to help, I do, but if I go bankrupt now then I can't help anybody.

Antigone*

Like I said, I am very sympathetic to the situation, but I fear this is going to destroy my chances of a successful career and what could be a much better help for the child in the long run. I want to help, I do, but if I go bankrupt now then I can't help anybody.
You should have thought of that before you decided to have sex. Providing for your child won't bankrupt you, that statement is just utterly ridiculous:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Since child support obligations survive a bankruptcy, it doesn't really matter. In fact, if you go bankrupt now, then you can use that extra income to support the child that you assisted in creating.

Silverplum

Like I said, I am very sympathetic to the situation,
In what manner?

You feel badly for your child, that s/he will grow up without a father?

You feel badly for your child, that s/he will grow up with less help and provision than if you had stuck around to be a father?

Or do you feel badly for your former lover, who is stuck caring for your child 24/7/365 with no financial, emotional, or physical help from the other parent?

It does your child no good to be "sympathetic." :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dogdutch said:
but I fear this is going to destroy my chances of a successful career and what could be a much better help for the child in the long run. I want to help, I do, but if I go bankrupt now then I can't help anybody.
Overdramatic. Untrue. Silly. Immature.

:rolleyes:

Silverplum

Don'tcha think that somebody who is planning to become a doctor ought to be *smart enough* to google up the MN CS info for his ownself?

:rolleyes:

Regardless, Dr Notafather, you're ever-so-welcome for my efforts on behalf of your (poor) child.

dogdutch

Whoa whoa guys, I don't understand why I am being attacked here. I just told you all I want to help! I want to do it in a way that makes sense so that I can complete my degree and thus have a hugely increased earning potential that can be used to better care for the child! I thought this was a forum for advice, not a forum for the destruction of my dignity. I am already setting aside everything I can spare so that I can make my payments and not come up short, but I don't know how long that can go on.

Silverplum

Whoa whoa guys, I don't understand why I am being attacked here. I just told you all I want to help! I want to do it in a way that makes sense so that I can complete my degree and thus have a hugely increased earning potential that can be used to better care for the child! I thought this was a forum for advice, not a forum for the destruction of my dignity. I am already setting aside everything I can spare so that I can make my payments and not come up short, but I don't know how long that can go on.
You're still just so very welcome for the informative LINKS I've provided to you.

It's very clear that you don't give a bean for the "better care" of the child. Here's hoping s/he's not yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">