• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forgiveness of arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DA412

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My ex and I have an 11 year old daughter. We became parents when we were both 16 years old. Long story short, we didn't stay together after our daughter was born and, for the first 5 years of her life, we never went to court to set up child support/visitation. I was at her mercy whenever I wanted to see our daughter, which was rare. I was young and had no idea what my rights were as a father and didn't know what to do as far as going to court was concerned. So, we left it as is and I saw my daughter whenever my ex let me and I wasn't paying any child support.

When our daughter was 5 years old, my ex took me to court to set up child support and visitation. She had an attorney, I didn't. I didn't really know what to expect, I just wanted to make sure I could see my daughter on a consistant basis.

She got everything she asked for by default because I didn't contest anything. I didn't know I could. As far as child support goes, which is where my question comes in, she asked the judge for retroactive child support back to the day of my daughter's birth. I didn't contest it, so she was awarded 5 years of child support based on what I was earning back then. Obviously, I couldn't pay it all at once, so the judge set up a monthly payment plan, which I'm still paying on to this day.

I've been told that it's not really the norm to have child support retroactive to the date of birth, usually it's only back to the date the motion was filed. And, since no child support order had been in place, I wasn't legally obligated to pay anything. It doesn't seem right to me to have to pay her back for something that was never in place to begin with.

Besides my ex forgiving the arrears herself (which she won't), is there any way a judge would forgive them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My ex and I have an 11 year old daughter. We became parents when we were both 16 years old. Long story short, we didn't stay together after our daughter was born and, for the first 5 years of her life, we never went to court to set up child support/visitation. I was at her mercy whenever I wanted to see our daughter, which was rare. I was young and had no idea what my rights were as a father and didn't know what to do as far as going to court was concerned. So, we left it as is and I saw my daughter whenever my ex let me and I wasn't paying any child support.

When our daughter was 5 years old, my ex took me to court to set up child support and visitation. She had an attorney, I didn't. I didn't really know what to expect, I just wanted to make sure I could see my daughter on a consistant basis.

She got everything she asked for by default because I didn't contest anything. I didn't know I could. As far as child support goes, which is where my question comes in, she asked the judge for retroactive child support back to the day of my daughter's birth. I didn't contest it, so she was awarded 5 years of child support based on what I was earning back then. Obviously, I couldn't pay it all at once, so the judge set up a monthly payment plan, which I'm still paying on to this day.

I've been told that it's not really the norm to have child support retroactive to the date of birth, usually it's only back to the date the motion was filed. And, since no child support order had been in place, I wasn't legally obligated to pay anything. It doesn't seem right to me to have to pay her back for something that was never in place to begin with.

Besides my ex forgiving the arrears herself (which she won't), is there any way a judge would forgive them?
You AGREED to it. THAT is why it was ordered.

Gracie3787

I know. I was stupid. I can't go back and change that now. Just wondering if I can do anything about it now.
Unfortunately, no you cannot do anything about the retro support now.

What you can do though is to be ready for court the next time by either hiring an attorney or spending time to learn the laws and court rules so that you'll know what the laws are and what your rights are.

DA412

Unfortunately, no you cannot do anything about the retro support now.

What you can do though is to be ready for court the next time by either hiring an attorney or spending time to learn the laws and court rules so that you'll know what the laws are and what your rights are.
Okay, thanks. I had a feeling there wasn't going to be much I could do about it. Fortunately, I've learned a lot over the years and did hire an attorney when we went back to court a few years ago. Things went much smoother. :)

If I could, somehow, talk her into forgiving the arrears, would a judge sign off on it? We don't go through a child support agency and she's not on any kind of state assistance or anything. I pay her directly.

Gracie3787

Okay, thanks. I had a feeling there wasn't going to be much I could do about it. Fortunately, I've learned a lot over the years and did hire an attorney when we went back to court a few years ago. Things went much smoother. :)

If I could, somehow, talk her into forgiving the arrears, would a judge sign off on it? We don't go through a child support agency and she's not on any kind of state assistance or anything. I pay her directly.
Yes, if your ex agrees to forgive the remaining arrears you can go back to court and ask for an order, but make sure that you do get an order. Alot of NCP's have ex's who SAY they will forgive, but unless it is signed by the Judge it doesn't matter.

DA412

Yes, if your ex agrees to forgive the remaining arrears you can go back to court and ask for an order, but make sure that you do get an order. Alot of NCP's have ex's who SAY they will forgive, but unless it is signed by the Judge it doesn't matter.
It's going to be tricky, but I'll give it a try. :) Thanks for the help.

seniorjudge

And, of course, that advice is totally incorrect.

seniorjudge

Of course a child needs support from the moment of conception.

The support belongs to the child; not you; not momma.

Momma can no more waive arrears than I can.

Be a man. Support your child.

milspecgirl

arrears can be waived by the parent they are owed to. child support is money owed to the parent to reimburse them for expenses they have spent on the child. It is not owed to the child.

mom is the ONLY one who can forgive the arrears as she is the one the money is owed to.

DA412

Of course a child needs support from the moment of conception.

The support belongs to the child; not you; not momma.

Momma can no more waive arrears than I can.

Be a man. Support your child.
I'm not saying that I shouldn't have supported my daughter when she was born. But, legally speaking, I wasn't obligated to since there was no order in place. I've seen on this forum many times over people being told they don't have to pay a dime until child support is established. Obviously, it's all moot now since it's been ordered that I pay back child support from the date of birth. I just wanted to know if I had any kind of arguement after the fact. From what I'm told, a judge won't overturn it. So, I'll have to try talking to my ex about it.

seniorjudge

arrears can be waived by the parent they are owed to. child support is money owed to the parent to reimburse them for expenses they have spent on the child. It is not owed to the child.

mom is the ONLY one who can forgive the arrears as she is the one the money is owed to.
No, you are 100% wrong. Child support is a natural obligation and a legal duty resting on both parents. It is against public policy for the parents to contract away the child's right to support and any agreement doing so is automatically null and void.

milspecgirl

no it is not. The parent owed the money has the right to forgive the arrears. My ex did it. The judge gave me the option of doing it also.

child support is a reimbursement to the custodial parent. They can choose to not receive it.

mistoffolees

No, you are 100% wrong. Child support is a natural obligation and a legal duty resting on both parents. It is against public policy for the parents to contract away the child's right to support and any agreement doing so is automatically null and void.
There is another way if ex really doesn't care about the money. OP can pay ex the money and get a receipt. Then ex can gift that money back to OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">