• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

forgiveness of child support arrears

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe Dale Harris

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I now live in New Mexico, but my Child Support case is in Orange County Calif. I owe approx 72K, and have now had my password revoked, and cannot renew my driver's lic. My ex-wife is now willing to forgive the arrears that I owe, but she has a short fuse, and very little patience. She wants me to have all the paperwork and everything involved tied in a neat package that she can quickly and easily complete. If this stretches out, she'll revert to another stance; and I'll miss my opportunity. How do I best handle this situation, and exactly what forms, etc., do I need, or exactly who do I need to speak with? Can I do this pro per?
Needing your help!
Joe

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I now live in New Mexico, but my Child Support case is in Orange County Calif. I owe approx 72K, and have now had my password revoked, and cannot renew my driver's lic. My ex-wife is now willing to forgive the arrears that I owe, but she has a short fuse, and very little patience. She wants me to have all the paperwork and everything involved tied in a neat package that she can quickly and easily complete. If this stretches out, she'll revert to another stance; and I'll miss my opportunity. How do I best handle this situation, and exactly what forms, etc., do I need, or exactly who do I need to speak with? Can I do this pro per?
Needing your help!
Joe

Sorry, but I have to ask - your wife is willing to forgive 72 THOUSAND dollars worth of child support?!

Please standby for the CA expert/s to offer their advice :)

CourtClerk

If your license is suspended and your passport revoked, I'm going to guess that CSSD is involved in the case. If any money is owed to the state, you can kiss that goodbye, unless you qualify for COAP.

She'll need to contact CSSD herself or file her own motion.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wow, a not-greedy baby mamma.

Kudos to her.
Uuuuhhh... and spitz on you for not at least taking Dad to task for being a deadbeat. $72k doesn't rack up by forgetting a month or two. It takes work to be that delinquent in supporting your child(ren) - something that is completely and utterly shameful.

Personally? I think Mom's a fool.

Wow, a not-greedy baby mamma.

Kudos to her.
Yes, lets all applaud the stupid woman willing to support her child(ren) all by herself while dad racks up an astounding $72 Grand in arrears. Sounds like a plan :cool: After all, mom should shoulder the burden, because poor dad shouldn't actually have to help feed his own offspring.:mad:

What is wrong with you, Splitz? Seriously? Do you not think both parents should support children they made together?

CSO286

If your license is suspended and your passport revoked, I'm going to guess that CSSD is involved in the case. If any money is owed to the state, you can kiss that goodbye, unless you qualify for COAP.

She'll need to contact CSSD herself or file her own motion.
Hey, CC--What is COAP? (I'm thinking it's similar to MN's SHILF, whereby public assistance arrears can be written off in certain cases.) Am I right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">