• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found out 8 year old is not mine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger27

When I got a girl pregnant, was young and never got a test and signed the recognition of parantage form in Minnesota, we got married about a year later and that did not last, never thought the boy looked liked me but always wondered and never got a test, fast forward a few years he is now 8, I finally got a good job I am married now and have 2 kids with my wife, I take my 8 year old 2 days a week, I get a thing from child support saying I have to pay 1400 a month! I have a family at home I have to take care of too after taxes and everything that is almost half my take home pay, so I got a dna test done and it turns out he is not my kid, I live in wisconsin and my sons mom lives in wisconsin what are my options?

ecmst12

If you signed the AOP, it is too late to contest paternity now. Why haven't you been paying child support for the past however many years since you split up with mom?

Silverplum

When I got a girl pregnant, was young and never got a test and signed the recognition of parantage form in Minnesota, we got married about a year later and that did not last, never thought the boy looked liked me but always wondered and never got a test, fast forward a few years he is now 8, I finally got a good job I am married now and have 2 kids with my wife, I take my 8 year old 2 days a week, I get a thing from child support saying I have to pay 1400 a month! I have a family at home I have to take care of too after taxes and everything that is almost half my take home pay, so I got a dna test done and it turns out he is not my kid, I live in wisconsin and my sons mom lives in wisconsin what are my options?
Your option is to pay the child support, or to bear the consequences.

The option of contesting paternity went out the window whenyou signed the AOP. You're the father, legally.

Antigone*

Your option is to care for you child. The child is legally yours.

Badger27

I have been paying child support since we split when he was 2 I was paying 360 a month, it's sad that it has to come to money but I have a family to take care of also, I went to his mom and all she sees is $ signs. I had spoke to my lawyer when we got a divorce and he said it don't matter if I signed to recognition of parantage form I can still protest paternatiy I know each state is different

Antigone*

I have been paying child support since we split when he was 2 I was paying 360 a month, it's sad that it has to come to money but I have a family to take care of also, I went to his mom and all she sees is $ signs. I had spoke to my lawyer when we got a divorce and he said it don't matter if I signed to recognition of parantage form I can still protest paternatiy I know each state is different
If you spoke to your attorney, then why come here and ask? Your first obligation is to your first child.

Silverplum

Regarding the bolded: YEARS ago.

Time's up. It's been up.

Badger27

I understand my first obligation is to my child but I can't make my family that I live with poor because I am paying 1400 a month in child support, the child is not mine, why do my kids that live with me have to live on pennies while my ex gets all my money, I came here cause I was looking for some guidance on specific Wisconsin laws dealing with these type of cases

Silverplum

I understand my first obligation is to my child but I can't make my family that I live with poor because I am paying 1400 a month in child support, the child is not mine, why do my kids that live with me have to live on pennies while my ex gets all my money, I came here cause I was looking for some guidance on specific Wisconsin laws dealing with these type of cases
Your wife may have to get a job, or a better job. You may have to get a 2nd job.

The child IS yours. You'll work it out.

Here's WI law on the topic: http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/publications/pdf/dcf_p_dwsc824.pdf

Last edited:

Antigone*

The child is yours. You decided to create a second family and those children come second to your first obligation. We are sorry that you don't like the answer you're getting but it is an accurate answer. You will have to suppliment your income and you might even encourage your wife to also bring income into the family as well. Many of us have had to deal with situations like this one, it is not uncommon.

eta...

The supporting of a new family while supporting the first is uncommon. Not being lied to about parentage. Well that might be uncommon too, but that was not my point.

Badger27

I am looking for specifics on this you guys are just telling me your opinions. I know in Texas no matter how old the child is if you find through dna testing that the child is not yours you can be removed from the birth certificate I am looking for some laws in Wisconsin not your opinions

Proserpina

The child is yours - legally.

Since you never disputed paternity during the divorce, that window has closed.

Proserpina

I am looking for specifics on this you guys are just telling me your opinions. I know in Texas no matter how old the child is if you find through dna testing that the child is not yours you can be removed from the birth certificate I am looking for some laws in Wisconsin not your opinions

Feel free to pay an attorney.

You're welcome.

You really want to break that kid's heart by suddenly being no longer there for him, huh?

Badger27

I don't want it to come to that butbib not going to met my other 2 kids not have things in life and live on pennies so a child that is not even mine "and it's not his fault" but his mom can sit back and not work her whole life and have 3 other dads payin child support to her, I have to protect my family to and this is a huge blow to them, I work on the railroad I can't get a 2nd job, my wife just got don't with her CNA class we have an 11 month old and all her check would go to day care, and silver plum I have looked into everything you are showing me I am liking for soacific details on a case like this in Wisconsin what you are showing me has nothing to do with details in talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">