• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fradulent Insurance on child?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pearl72

What is the name of your state? Colorado

My daughter's father has her on his wife's policy through her job. Im not complaining that my daughter is covered for insurance, but they have her listed as having their last name, and not her legal name, and stated to the insurance company that she lives with them, and not with me. My daughter's father has admitted that they did this as this was the only way they could get insurance for my daughter. Also, since THEY pay for it, i have no say in to any of her medical needs according to him. Is there anything i can do? I don't want to have something happen in the future where i may get stuck with a huge medical bill with the fradulent information that the insurance company has. What can i do?

seniorjudge

Pearl72 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado

My daughter's father has her on his wife's policy through her job. Im not complaining that my daughter is covered for insurance, but they have her listed as having their last name, and not her legal name, and stated to the insurance company that she lives with them, and not with me. My daughter's father has admitted that they did this as this was the only way they could get insurance for my daughter. Also, since THEY pay for it, i have no say in to any of her medical needs according to him. Is there anything i can do? I don't want to have something happen in the future where i may get stuck with a huge medical bill with the fradulent information that the insurance company has. What can i do?
Q: Is there anything i can do?

A: About what?

LdiJ

My recommendation is that you get your own insurance for the child, and don't even try to use the insurance that dad is providing. He obtained the insurance fraudulently, and the first time there is a claim he is going to get busted.

However, just FYI, him carrying the insurance does NOT give him sole control over medical decisions/issues regarding the child.

abstract99

Wait, if she is married to the childs Father then she should have the same last name anyways. I don't really see it making much of a difference. I covered my children as living with me when they didn't and that was just so that I could get the bills sent to the right place. They lives with me for when I took them to the doctor and mom didn't take them so I saw no problem with it. I even checked with the carrier first and they said that was ok. If you really want him to change it then you will get the bills. As to the last name I would check into it because something seems to be missing.

NotSoNew

i had my daughter on my insurance when she didnt have the same last name as me. and my husband has his daughter on his insurance and she has a different address.

weenor

abstract99 said:
Wait, if she is married to the childs Father then she should have the same last name anyways. I don't really see it making much of a difference. I covered my children as living with me when they didn't and that was just so that I could get the bills sent to the right place. They lives with me for when I took them to the doctor and mom didn't take them so I saw no problem with it. I even checked with the carrier first and they said that was ok. If you really want him to change it then you will get the bills. As to the last name I would check into it because something seems to be missing.
Yes but you are the child's parent...when I got insurance for my stepdaughter I had to fax a marriage certificate to show them I was married to her father and the court order showing he had custody. For a step parent to procure insurance the child must live with them. They are committing fraud.

OP- The easiest course of action is to just get your own insurance and let the company deal with them. What does your court order say?

LdiJ

weenor said:
Yes but you are the child's parent...when I got insurance for my stepdaughter I had to fax a marriage certificate to show them I was married to her father and the court order showing he had custody. For a step parent to procure insurance the child must live with them. They are committing fraud.
Not every insurance company requires that the child live with the stepparent in order to be covered....and/or not every employer's coverage requires that. However, MANY do and this is obviously one of the ones that does.

The combo of the fake last name and the fake custody means that the insurance is basically worthless.

weenor

LdiJ said:
Not every insurance company requires that the child live with the stepparent in order to be covered....and/or not every employer's coverage requires that. However, MANY do and this is obviously one of the ones that does.

The combo of the fake last name and the fake custody means that the insurance is basically worthless.
You are right...I was of course assuming again...the fact that they used a fake address and a fake last name told me that they were aware that they were committing fraud. ;)

If child is on his insurance as per the divorce decree then it doenst matter where the child lives as long as child is covered. My Ex's states that child lives with
mom in another state.
He did not put his address. May make a difference.

EDIT: all the stepmom has do is state childs proper address and and the stepmom can add anyone she wants to her policy as long as she will be responsible for the named child on behalf of the child
, he is covering her with insurance.
I'm sure I will be corrected on this issue!

Last edited:

CJane

outragedMOM said:
EDIT: all the stepmom has do is state childs proper address and and the stepmom can add anyone she wants to her policy as long as she will be responsible for the named child on behalf of the child
, he is covering her with insurance.
I'm sure I will be corrected on this issue!
I have NEVER seen an insurance policy offered through an employer that allows someone to add 'whoever they want'.

weenor

CJane said:
I have NEVER seen an insurance policy offered through an employer that allows someone to add 'whoever they want'.
Exactly..its a creature of contract not state law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">