• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL

Recently my daughter mentioned that her grandmother and aunt on her mother's side were paying for school and supplies for both my daughter and my son. So when my ex-wife posted expenses on Our Family Wizard for school and supplies I asked her about it, and she did not deny it. She actually said that it shouldn't matter who pays on her side, since the expenses are court ordered I have to pay my half.

I am wondering how I can address this with the court? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Proserpina

Recently my daughter mentioned that her grandmother and aunt on her mother's side were paying for school and supplies for both my daughter and my son. So when my ex-wife posted expenses on Our Family Wizard for school and supplies I asked her about it, and she did not deny it. She actually said that it shouldn't matter who pays on her side, since the expenses are court ordered I have to pay my half.

I am wondering how I can address this with the court? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Why on earth does your daughter even KNOW?

You're still ordered to pay half, no matter where Mom is getting her "half" from.

My daughter knows because her grandmother and aunt took them shopping for their new school supplies. Seems a little ridiculous that if someone else is paying, why would I then have to reimburse my ex for expenses she never paid for in the first place? It just seems like cheating the system and double dipping by submitting those expenses to be paid.

Proserpina

My daughter knows because her grandmother and aunt took them shopping for their new school supplies. Seems a little ridiculous that if someone else is paying, why would I then have to reimburse my ex for expenses she never paid for in the first place? It just seems like cheating the system and double dipping by submitting those expenses to be paid.

How do you know Mom didn't give them the money to take the kids shopping?

(See where I'm going with this?)

sandyclaus

As long as they can provide valid receipts, who cares who paid?

You pay your half. If auntie and grandma want to pay Mom's half without getting fully reimbursed, that's on THEM.

OHRoadwarrior

You can go to court and have the judge laugh at you. Frankly, you should be happy your children have captivated others to make their lives just a bit easier.

single317dad

Grandma and Aunt have given Mom a gift, value of which is equivalent to half the cost of the school expenses. They are under no obligation to give you the same (or any) gift.

Just seems ethically wrong to have someone pay for something and then still ask for me to pay my part. If it's a gift for the kids, why ask for payment on top of that?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the comments.

Antigone*

Just seems ethically wrong to have someone pay for something and then still ask for me to pay my part. If it's a gift for the kids, why ask for payment on top of that?

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate the comments.
Her half was gifted, yours was not. There is nothing unethical about it.

gam

How do you know that she is not paying her mom or aunt back? Could be she was short on money or short on time and had her mom and sister helped her out by taking the kids shopping and getting them what they need.

Your her ex, if they were gifts, they were either to your ex(her relatives)or to the child. If you wanted her relatives to give you gifts then you should of stayed with her. You have relatives ask them for gifts for you or your child, then your even with your ex.

Drives me nuts that people think relatives of their ex's should be paying for their child. Your court order, your ordered to pay x amount, it does not matter what the other parent does with that amount or how she gets her money to pay for the child.

Drives me nuts that people think relatives of their ex's should be paying for their child. Your court order, your ordered to pay x amount, it does not matter what the other parent does with that amount or how she gets her money to pay for the child.
I do not expect my ex's relatives to pay for anything, it was a simple question that has been answered. I am fully capable of paying for the items that are needed, this situation came up and didn't seem right; so I asked the question. I am not trying to pawn off any of the costs or responsibilities at all. It drives me nuts when people jump to conclusions when there is a simple question at hand.

Thanks for you feedback.

swalsh411

The custodial parent to whom you are legally obligated to support has zero obligation to provide to you an accounting of those funds.

Do you get it now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">