• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freeze a bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

424Smudge

What is the name of your state? Az
My husband shattered his kneecap a few years back and was put on disability. He continues to work but he keeps losing his job because of the large amount of times that he has to keep going back to court for child support/custody. We have explained to her that he cannot pay child support if she keeps causing him to lose his job. About 99% of the stuff that she files for is thrown out but has cost us THOUSANDS of dollars and he has grown more and more behind over the past 3 years in his support. To date he is about 10K in arrears but has paid what he can over the years but it is never enough to stay current. We are worried that they will freeze his bank account soon so my question is.... if he moves his disability check over so that it deposits into my bank account and his name is not on my account is there any way for them to touch it? I'm not trying to be sneaky here but it is the mothers own actions that is causing my husband to lose his jobs over and over again and I see it unfair that the little that he does not send to her is taken too.

Whyte Noise

Why doesn't he just have direct deposit stopped and a paper check mailed to him every month? Take it to your bank, deposit it in your account. No sneakiness involved.

If he's getting Social Security Disability benefits (SSDI), as long as he makes the request to change to a check and stop the direct deposit by the 15th of the month, his next monthly check will come in the mail. Too late to do it for the October payment (it's past the 15th of September) but the November payment will come in the mail as long as he changes it by the 15th of October. I called on August 8th to change mine from DD to check in the mail, and the September payment was in my mailbox on the 3rd, just like it would have been in my bank account on the 3rd. The SSA rep I spoke with is the one that told me about the 15th of the month being the cutoff.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">