• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frivolous suit and reduced income questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ramsee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-husband and I had a visitation modification hearing in Dec. that resulted in a 3.5 hour increase per week to his timeshare so that I now have 60% timeshare and he has 40% timeshare. However, the mediator’s report that the judge endorsed for the order says the new timeshare is “approximately” 52% and 48%, respectively. Based on this “approximate” figure, Ex and his lawyer filed a Request for Order three days after the hearing to modify child support. The only facts in support they listed were “a change in circumstances: my income has increased, her income has increased, and the child share percentages have changed.” They have responded with radio silence to my attempts to resolve this out of court.

I believe the 1.6% change in timebase doesn’t warrant a change in cs. Even if it did, the $2000 raise he received (compared to my $80 raise) should offset the miniscule change in timebase, so this suit seems frivolous to me on the whole, but the devil may be in the details. Here are my questions:

1. Is it typical for a modification request to contain such little data? It seems to me that had they actually crunched some numbers, they would see that there is little here to argue.

2. I am on a reduced income this year, so my paystub will show half of what it did previously. Technically, I “voluntarily” accepted this reduced income, but it is because I need the additional time to get research done to keep my job. I am a faculty member who has not published, as required, since I had kids, and keeping my job is necessary for the welfare of my children. It is also true that the ex has a pattern of missing 10-15% of his scheduled visitation time due to out-of-town trips, and I have always babysat the children in his place, further taking me away from my research duties. Should I just tell the judge to double the amount of my actual paystub to calculate cs or is there much chance in arguing that CS should be based on my actual salary this year and/or actual time with the children (not assigned time); therefore, his cs should be increased (not decreased)? Again, I understand that under normal circumstances these arguments would be unlikely to be accepted by a court, but given the above, can you advise how you think I should respond?

(BTW, I figured timebase to two decimal places on an excel sheet by adding the weekly hours for NCP, multiplying by the number of weeks for that schedule, and then adding 50% hours for vacation weeks and dividing by 8760, the number of hours in a year. Correct? Is it difficult to overcome the wrong percentage given by the mediator?)

Thank you for your education and advice.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-husband and I had a visitation modification hearing in Dec. that resulted in a 3.5 hour increase per week to his timeshare so that I now have 60% timeshare and he has 40% timeshare. However, the mediator’s report that the judge endorsed for the order says the new timeshare is “approximately” 52% and 48%, respectively. Based on this “approximate” figure, Ex and his lawyer filed a Request for Order three days after the hearing to modify child support. The only facts in support they listed were “a change in circumstances: my income has increased, her income has increased, and the child share percentages have changed.” They have responded with radio silence to my attempts to resolve this out of court.

I believe the 1.6% change in timebase doesn’t warrant a change in cs. Even if it did, the $2000 raise he received (compared to my $80 raise) should offset the miniscule change in timebase, so this suit seems frivolous to me on the whole, but the devil may be in the details. Here are my questions:

1. Is it typical for a modification request to contain such little data? It seems to me that had they actually crunched some numbers, they would see that there is little here to argue.

2. I am on a reduced income this year, so my paystub will show half of what it did previously. Technically, I “voluntarily” accepted this reduced income, but it is because I need the additional time to get research done to keep my job. I am a faculty member who has not published, as required, since I had kids, and keeping my job is necessary for the welfare of my children. It is also true that the ex has a pattern of missing 10-15% of his scheduled visitation time due to out-of-town trips, and I have always babysat the children in his place, further taking me away from my research duties. Should I just tell the judge to double the amount of my actual paystub to calculate cs or is there much chance in arguing that CS should be based on my actual salary this year and/or actual time with the children (not assigned time); therefore, his cs should be increased (not decreased)? Again, I understand that under normal circumstances these arguments would be unlikely to be accepted by a court, but given the above, can you advise how you think I should respond?

(BTW, I figured timebase to two decimal places on an excel sheet by adding the weekly hours for NCP, multiplying by the number of weeks for that schedule, and then adding 50% hours for vacation weeks and dividing by 8760, the number of hours in a year. Correct? Is it difficult to overcome the wrong percentage given by the mediator?)

Thank you for your education and advice.
Don't know about the CS issue ,but I have never heard the term banysit one's own child(ren).

The petition would not be a frivolous filing if it fact there are changes.

LdiJ

Also, a voluntary reduction in income is in fact a voluntary reduction in income.
This one might be a little bit of a grey area. While it does appear voluntary, it was actually necessary in order to keep her job. If she doesn't publish, she loses her job. I could see a judge going either way on this one.

Ramsee

Am I understanding correctly that you believe the 3.5 hours per week time change warrants a hearing and that I should voluntarily tell the judge to double the amount of my paystub, without any push back? I guess I thought the salary issue might be the ex and his lawyer's burden to prove?

Ramsee

If I may, both ex and I also live with our respective mothers, who are both retired and widowed. Any chance the judge will take their incomes into account for cs since both contribute some household costs?

Thanks again.

LdiJ

Am I understanding correctly that you believe the 3.5 hours per week time change warrants a hearing and that I should voluntarily tell the judge to double the amount of my paystub, without any push back? I guess I thought the salary issue might be the ex and his lawyer's burden to prove?
It would be helpful if you hit the reply with quote, instead of the reply button to respond. Then we will know what post you are responding to.

BL

If I may, both ex and I also live with our respective mothers, who are both retired and widowed. Any chance the judge will take their incomes into account for cs since both contribute some household costs?

Thanks again.
Aren't you both supose to show your incomes for the hearing ?

Sure the other party would have to bring up you volutarily reduced your income , then you explain.

The court will decide.

Ramsee

Aren't you both supose to show your incomes for the hearing ?

Yes, but he did not provide his mother's income (and said she didn't contribute to costs--which probably isn't true). I wasn't planning to provide my mother's income, but I see from the income and expense statement that it asks whether anyone else contributes to the household income. I live in my mother's paid-off house with her, so it seems fair to say that she contributes. Does this mean her retirement income is likely to be used in cs calculation?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, but he did not provide his mother's income (and said she didn't contribute to costs--which probably isn't true). I wasn't planning to provide my mother's income, but I see from the income and expense statement that it asks whether anyone else contributes to the household income. I live in my mother's paid-off house with her, so it seems fair to say that she contributes. Does this mean her retirement income is likely to be used in cs calculation?
No. Those income figures are to make sure that everything is on the up and up. The only $$ that matters is yours and Dad's.

BL

If he's not listing his mother's income ,then you shouldn't list your mother's either.

If the incomes are manditaory be ready to provide it.

Then the court should require him to provide it also.

Ramsee

No. Those income figures are to make sure that everything is on the up and up. The only $$ that matters is yours and Dad's.
Thank you.

I'm representing myself. Does anyone have any feedback about the lack of any data in the request for order? Is this a typical strategy? I'm not sure whether to flood the judge with timeshare calculations and Disso statements in advance to try to predispose the judge to my points or to hold it all until the hearing and leave his side to reply on the fly. (He says he is paying his lawyer only $2000 for both visitation modification and child support modification, so he may get little representation, even when his lawyer is present.) Any strategy suggestions are welcomed.

Thank you, again.

OHRoadwarrior

The logical response is mommies income has no bearing and you should both pretend to be grownups and get your own homes.

torimac

The logical response is mommies income has no bearing and you should both pretend to be grownups and get your own homes.
Entirely unnecessary. Americans have distanced themselves from generational households, but there is nothing wrong with living in your parent's home in exchange for taking care of them. In fact, I commend her for taking care of her family and teaching the next generation to take care of family. My grandmother lived with my aunt until her death. She helped with housework, general cooking and cleaning, in exchange for room, board and the knowledge that if there was a medical emergency, someone was there. We are already talking about who my aunt will live with in ten years or so, provided she does not need constant medical care.

She has an arrangement that suits her and her mother. Such an arrangement does not negate the level of maturity for those involved. In my opinion, it actually shows maturity and family responsibility that she is taking care of her mother. She could pay rent and enjoy her privacy and own space, but she choose to take care of family.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ditto, tori. Nothing wrong with multi-generational living, if it works for those involved. Shame on you, roadkill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">