• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frustrated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdavis74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My ex and I have joint custody, he has had physical joint custody awarded and I was ordered to pay $135 a month in child support. My daughter began living with me in 2007 and his ors case was paid in full and closed. Since then I have began to recieve child support checks in the amount of $8.00 or $9.00 dollars and my ors case states that he is only required to pay $20.00 a month. Do I have to go to court to get this amount changed, it hardly seems fair that he is only paying enough for me to buy maybe some milk and bread. Although he is able to blow money on video game players and fun gifts for her while I am stuck struggling trying to figure out how to pay for the living expenses.:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My ex and I have joint custody, he has had physical joint custody awarded and I was ordered to pay $135 a month in child support. My daughter began living with me in 2007 and his ors case was paid in full and closed. Since then I have began to recieve child support checks in the amount of $8.00 or $9.00 dollars and my ors case states that he is only required to pay $20.00 a month. Do I have to go to court to get this amount changed, it hardly seems fair that he is only paying enough for me to buy maybe some milk and bread. Although he is able to blow money on video game players and fun gifts for her while I am stuck struggling trying to figure out how to pay for the living expenses.:mad:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Why was it ordered so low? Is Dad working? Disabled?

(The sad reality is that there's only so much the state can do to force someone to pay - you can't rely on child support. Some parents will literally do everything within their power not to pay a cent)

mistoffolees

Why was it ordered so low? Is Dad working? Disabled?
That is my question. That ordered amount is so low that something unusual is going on.

OP, first run the state calculator to see what he SHOULD be paying:
www.utcourts.gov - Utah State Courts - Utah State Courts - Child Support Calculator

If the numbers come out at close to what you're getting, then you probably won't get anywhere with requesting a modification. OTOH, if the numbers come out higher, then it may be worth requesting a change.

Given the numbers, it's possible that he's only working part time which would cause the numbers to be low. If he's only working part time but is capable of working full time, you can ask the court to impute a full time income to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">