• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustrated with Child Support Case Worker

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahmackey29

I live in IL and am currently pursuing Child Support. I have been goign through the state as I don't have much money for a lawyer, at least not a good lawyer. I am having trouble reaching my case worker she will not return phone calls, faxes, or e-mails. This case is interstate, I am in IL with my son and the father "in question" lives in FL. My son was conceived in FL and so I was told that everything would be based on FL law, rules, and regulations.

I am wondering about a couple of things;

Why is this taking so long?

Is there anything I can do to speed this process along?

I was wondering, if I were to travel down to FL to have a paternity test done would that help speed things up or would I only be putting myself out for nothing?

Any help anyone has would really be appreciated! I honestly don't know where to turn to. I am getting very tired of not having phonecalls returned, not having e-mails and faxes returned, and I am about ready to give up.

I just want to be able to give my son everything! This money isn't mine it's his and he is getting older and in more and more need of this for proper daycare and shortly there after school and extracurricular activities that I just can't afford for him on my single mom budget.

Thank you all for anything you can provide me with![/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

sarahmackey29

My son is a little over 9 months old. I filed about 6 or 7 months ago.

Father is working, born in US so is obviously legal, his wages are garnishable yes.

He is asking for a DNA test- to be spiteful but thats not relevant.

I have been waiting months to hear whether he has even been served paperwork on establishing paternity, I have not gotten anything in the mail about that either.

CourtClerk

Why is this taking so long?
You are one in 1000000 cases, with a case worker who has 400 other cases, 8 hours in a day and other things to do, which may or may not be more important than your situation.
Is there anything I can do to speed this process along?
The wheels of justice turn slowly...
I was wondering, if I were to travel down to FL to have a paternity test done would that help speed things up or would I only be putting myself out for nothing?
You'd be wasting your time.
Any help anyone has would really be appreciated! I honestly don't know where to turn to.
Wanting personal attention requires you pay your own attorney.
I am getting very tired of not having phonecalls returned, not having e-mails and faxes returned, and I am about ready to give up.
I'm sure your case worker is tired of not having enough time in the day to return phone calls, emails and faxes. THEN when they DO get to return a phone call, someone wants to spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing every nuance of their case, know about every little dot on their papers, what they've done, what they're gonna do next, can I call you every week, etc.
I just want to be able to give my son everything!
Unless you're independently wealthy, you're setting yourself for failure. Besides, kids don't need EVERYTHING.
This money isn't mine it's his
actually no, the money is not his. It's yours. The checks will be made out to you and you'll get to do whatever you want with it, including now spending a single cent on buying junior a pony because that's what he wants.
and he is getting older and in more and more need of this for proper daycare and shortly there after school and extracurricular activities that I just can't afford for him on my single mom budget.
Then stop trying to give your child everything, because it's already clear you can't afford everything. Having a child support order doesn't ensure you're going to see a dime, so you might want to adjust your single mom budget so you can afford the things he NEEDS, not the things he WANTS (which include extracurricular activities)

sarahmackey29

You are one in 1000000 cases, with a case worker who has 400 other cases, 8 hours in a day and other things to do, which may or may not be more important than your situation.

The wheels of justice turn slowly...

You'd be wasting your time.

Wanting personal attention requires you pay your own attorney.

I'm sure your case worker is tired of not having enough time in the day to return phone calls, emails and faxes. THEN when they DO get to return a phone call, someone wants to spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing every nuance of their case, know about every little dot on their papers, what they've done, what they're gonna do next, can I call you every week, etc.

Unless you're independently wealthy, you're setting yourself for failure. Besides, kids don't need EVERYTHING.

actually no, the money is not his. It's yours. The checks will be made out to you and you'll get to do whatever you want with it, including now spending a single cent on buying junior a pony because that's what he wants.

Then stop trying to give your child everything, because it's already clear you can't afford everything. Having a child support order doesn't ensure you're going to see a dime, so you might want to adjust your single mom budget so you can afford the things he NEEDS, not the things he WANTS (which include extracurricular activities)
Wait, so " the money is mine" and "the checks are made out to me" but "i wont see a dime"??

I'm not saying that this measly cuople hundred of dollars a month is going to make it so I can give my son everything literally. I just know that with this couple hundred it will help me be a better parent. whether that means a better daycare for him, a day off work when I can take my son to the zoo instead of going to the same park we always do. I don't think it's wrong of me to want to provide a great life for my son. I appreciate the comments. I was looking more for some answers, maybe from someone who has been through this situation. Interstate, case worker not responding, father being difficult at every turn, and if there is anyone I could speak to?

And it ins't that I can't afford an attorney I interviewed a couple but the much better one cost more thatn most people could afford. And I just want to get this done and over with.

CourtClerk

What makes you think you haven't gotten responses from people who HAVEN'T been on both sides of the fence (both the child support case worker and the single parent having to pay for it all?)

The reality is child support money isn't money you should count on to do anything because it's not guaranteed to come.

mistoffolees

Wait, so " the money is mine" and "the checks are made out to me" but "i wont see a dime"??

I'm not saying that this measly cuople hundred of dollars a month is going to make it so I can give my son everything literally. I just know that with this couple hundred it will help me be a better parent. whether that means a better daycare for him, a day off work when I can take my son to the zoo instead of going to the same park we always do. I don't think it's wrong of me to want to provide a great life for my son. I appreciate the comments. I was looking more for some answers, maybe from someone who has been through this situation. Interstate, case worker not responding, father being difficult at every turn, and if there is anyone I could speak to?

And it ins't that I can't afford an attorney I interviewed a couple but the much better one cost more thatn most people could afford. And I just want to get this done and over with.
If you don't want to hire an attorney, then simply be patient. It takes time - and 6-7 months isn't all that long. Or ask to speak to a supervisor. Or see if the CS agency has an ombudsman.

sarahmackey29

I never siad I was counting on it, I simply said it would be nice to have. Im not sure why youre "attacking" me. I simply came on here to get some answers from people who may have been in this same position before. Eventually the money will get to my son, as I stated before it's not my money it is his! You came back saying that it is my money, its addressed to me, etc.

I don't think anything I say will be right.

Thanks for your help. Have a great day.

CourtClerk

I never siad I was counting on it, I simply said it would be nice to have. Im not sure why youre "attacking" me. I simply came on here to get some answers from people who may have been in this same position before. Eventually the money will get to my son, as I stated before it's not my money it is his! You came back saying that it is my money, its addressed to me, etc.

I don't think anything I say will be right.

Thanks for your help. Have a great day.
No one is attacking you. I'm speaking to you like a big girl. I didn't realize you wanted sympathy, to be patted on the head and only told the nice things.

So, if it makes you feel better, here goes:
Everything will be fine. It's extremely mean for them not to return your phone calls. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.

sarahmackey29

Dear Mistoffolees,

Have you been through this before or just have experience? I did try to speak with someone higher up, I waited in the office for over 2 hours with my son only to see her sitting behind the desk eating her lunch and talking on her cell phone. Im not saying she doesnt deserve a lunch lol, but I am saying that this is not what I should see each time I go in to the office... at different hours every time.

You said that 6-7 months isnt very long, you sound like you know personally, Ive never done this and to me it seems like forever. Would you know about how long it takes? I cant seem to get any time frame out of my case worker.

Do you know if I am able to request a new case worker? If so do you think it would slow the process even more?

Thanks for your help!

CourtClerk

as I stated before it's not my money it is his! You came back saying that it is my money, its addressed to me, etc.
And as I stated before, LEGALLY (because after all, you came to a legal forum), the money is NOT the child's. It belongs to the PARENT. The check will be made out to you. The order will be for dad to pay YOU, not the child.

But hey, what do I know, right? I only work in this field.:rolleyes:

sarahmackey29

Nope, never asked for sympathy or to be treated like a child. Thats why they say don't assume... Makes you look like an idiot. Did I come on here crying and stating how terrible everyone is to me, and how I should just be handed everything in life? No ma'am or sir, I did not! I dont intend to. If I didn't want to deal with real life then I wouldnt have had a child. Thanks for speaking down to me though. Im sorry that youre getting so bothered by all of this. I may be unsure about a lot in this situation but I would never let myself get so worked up over this that I would resort to speaking down to someone.

mistoffolees

Dear Mistoffolees,

Have you been through this before or just have experience? I did try to speak with someone higher up, I waited in the office for over 2 hours with my son only to see her sitting behind the desk eating her lunch and talking on her cell phone. Im not saying she doesnt deserve a lunch lol, but I am saying that this is not what I should see each time I go in to the office... at different hours every time.

You said that 6-7 months isnt very long, you sound like you know personally, Ive never done this and to me it seems like forever. Would you know about how long it takes? I cant seem to get any time frame out of my case worker.

Do you know if I am able to request a new case worker? If so do you think it would slow the process even more?

Thanks for your help!
In many states, a year would not be unusual. I don't have experience with IL, but expecting it to be done in 6 months sounds hopelessly optimistic.

Even if they let you request a new case worker, it's not likely to speed anything up and may slow it down.

Frankly, it sounds like you've made a pest of yourself - which may be why they're not returning calls.

Proserpina

Nope, never asked for sympathy or to be treated like a child. Thats why they say don't assume... Makes you look like an idiot. Did I come on here crying and stating how terrible everyone is to me, and how I should just be handed everything in life? No ma'am or sir, I did not! I dont intend to. If I didn't want to deal with real life then I wouldnt have had a child. Thanks for speaking down to me though. Im sorry that youre getting so bothered by all of this. I may be unsure about a lot in this situation but I would never let myself get so worked up over this that I would resort to speaking down to someone.

You kind of just did exactly that.

But anyway.

The reality is that even once you have an order, you may never see a dime - ever. Hence you can't can't rely on child support - and it should absolutely not be included in your monthly budget.

If it comes in (addressed to you, not your son) great. If not, you haven't lost anything.

It can take over a year or even longer for things to get put into place. And getting a new case worker isn't going to help.

Patience is your friend. Or, as misto suggested, try the ombudsman if you truly think there is a grave injustice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">