• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

frustrated mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momof2step&2min

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Arizona
My ex-husband has not paid childsupport the enitire time we have been divorced(5years). He has not seen my daughter in over a year, and before that it was, once a year, he only lives an hour away. My new husband(1 1/2 years), wants to adopt her but we cannot get anything done, without the ex being in court, which he refuses to go and even gissappears for awhile eveytime i go to have him served.
What can i do?

Phnx02

momof2step&2min said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Arizona
My ex-husband has not paid childsupport the enitire time we have been divorced(5years). He has not seen my daughter in over a year, and before that it was, once a year, he only lives an hour away. My new husband(1 1/2 years), wants to adopt her but we cannot get anything done, without the ex being in court, which he refuses to go and even gissappears for awhile eveytime i go to have him served.
What can i do?
Do you have an attorney to get him served? They hire professionals to do this deed, and have many resources to make sure it gets done. Help the process by playing detective yourself. Learn his movements and schedule to ensure it's done successfully.

momof2step&2min

We cannot afford an attorney or process server, and how am i to follow him when i have four kids at home to take care of??? Is there another way??

Phnx02

momof2step&2min said:
We cannot afford an attorney or process server, and how am i to follow him when i have four kids at home to take care of??? Is there another way??
Not really. Hire a babysitter or recruit some friends to play detective with you. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Gracie3787

momof2step&2min said:
Do you know where he lives, where he works, or a phone number for him? If you do, you can try contacting him and telling him that your new hubby wants to adopt and if he will willingly allow it then you will forgive all arrears owed. If he doesn't want to "be nice" it might help to remind him that he owes CS- that you WILL get the CS- and that he WILL go to jail then follow thru on it.

Oh, I almost forgot- that will only work if you never collected any public assistance.

Just a thought.
Gracie :)

momof2step&2min

i do know where he is supposed to be at, he desnt work, and his mommy is always lying to me, he lives with her, she says he does not, but she will give him the message, hes 26 for cryin outloud, and he cant stand up to me on his own. sometimes, i wonder about him

haiku

honestly, having been there done that, step parent adoption is such a serious event that you really should not attempt one without at least one attorney consult to understand how the process works in your state. ESPECIALLY if the parent is hard to find/unwilling.

One inncoent mess up with the paperwork can overturn a whole adoption.

It is also something that if meant to be can wait until you have the money to do it "right"

good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">