• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Full time student and child support questions.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Denkoumaru

I am a 35 year old women, and my current field of work is taking me no where. I have decided it would be in mine and my familys best interest to go back to school and further my education so I can make more money. My ex has custody of our children I pay 500 a month ( 250 for each child), not including health insurance. Ok first thing I want to make clear. I am not trying to get out of paying my child support. I just want to know if/when I become a full time student what are my options for paying my child support are. I read that you can use your loans, grants and scholarships to pay child support? I want to know if i need to notify the court/ child support or my ex that I will be headed to college as soon as I can, and what I need to prepare in telling them if i need to do so at all. I live Washington state if that helps.

Proserpina

I am a 35 year old women, and my current field of work is taking me no where. I have decided it would be in mine and my familys best interest to go back to school and further my education so I can make more money. My ex has custody of our children I pay 500 a month ( 250 for each child), not including health insurance. Ok first thing I want to make clear. I am not trying to get out of paying my child support. I just want to know if/when I become a full time student what are my options for paying my child support are. I read that you can use your loans, grants and scholarships to pay child support? I want to know if i need to notify the court/ child support or my ex that I will be headed to college as soon as I can, and what I need to prepare in telling them if i need to do so at all. I live Washington state if that helps.

You can use any funds to pay your child support.

Just make triple sure that you can actually afford to go to school AND keep up with your CURRENT child support obligation.

Because it won't decrease just because you're going to school.

Skill7D

You can use the money to pay your support. Once your tuition and fees are paid, the remainder is yours. I would suggest filing a modification for the time you will be attending school. It will be difficult even with the loan money to keep up with all your expenses. Once arrears start to build, automated enforcements can kick in and cause you hardships. If you have a decent relationship with your ex you may be able to discuss him contacting your state's child support enforcement agency and request certain enforcements be stopped while you're in school.

Proserpina

You can use the money to pay your support. Once your tuition and fees are paid, the remainder is yours. I would suggest filing a modification for the time you will be attending school.

Are you in OP's state?

I'll give you a hint. I am.

It will be difficult even with the loan money to keep up with all your expenses. Once arrears start to build, automated enforcements can kick in and cause you hardships. If you have a decent relationship with your ex you may be able to discuss him contacting your state's child support enforcement agency and request certain enforcements be stopped while you're in school.

Which "certain enforcements" would these be?

Skill7D

Are you in OP's state?

I'll give you a hint. I am.

Which "certain enforcements" would these be?
No I don't live in her state.

If she's no longer working full time because she's in school, she'll be making less money won't she? Guidelines are based on income, if she has less income, the obligation should be less.

"Certain enforcements" are automated enforcements that are based predetermined amounts owed. Bank Levy and license suspension are two examples. She also can be reported to the credit bureaus. All of which create hardships, like I said.

Do you work for a CSEA? I'll give you a hint. I do

Proserpina

Obviously.

If she's no longer working full time because she's in school, she'll be making less money won't she? Guidelines are based on income, if she has less income, the obligation should be less.
WRONG.

"Certain enforcements" are automated enforcements that are based predetermined amounts owed. Bank Levy and license suspension are two examples. She also can be reported to the credit bureaus. All of which create hardships, like I said.

Not in WA you don't.

Voluntary underemployment is NOT a valid reason to obtain a downward modification in WA.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Do you understand that voluntary under or un employment is NOT a reason for a downward modification? If you actually DO work for CSEA and have a brain, then you would realize that and understand that very basic fact.

CSO286

I do, and you're still wrong. Because you are not providing state-specific information.
You do realize that not every state will put enforcement remedies on hold when an NCP chooses to leave a job and go to school. Frankly, very few do. And when an ncp voluntarily quits working, it's very rare for them to be successful in obtaining a downward mod.

And, arguing with a Senior member who knows the ins and outs of the OP's state--not really going to increase your credibilty....:rolleyes::cool:

CSO286

Do you understand that voluntary under or un employment is NOT a reason for a downward modification? If you actually DO work for CSEA and have a brain, then you would realize that and understand that very basic fact.

Child Support 101.

If it was, then every NCP out there would be quitting work and obtaining their state's minimum orders.....

Alex1176

Child Support 101.

If it was, then every NCP out there would be quitting work and obtaining their state's minimum orders.....
Why should an NCP quit his nice 5000$ job (3000$ after taxes and support for one child) and get a minimum 1500$ job in Taco bell (1000$ after support and taxes)?
Why would somebody throw away 2000$?
Does not make any sense.

mistoffolees

Why should an NCP quit his nice 5000$ job (3000$ after taxes and support for one child) and get a minimum 1500$ job in Taco bell (1000$ after support and taxes)?
Does not make any sense.
I don't know, but it happens frequently.

CSO exaggerated when she said that EVERY NCP would do it, but lots of people would. Read these forums.

tuffbrk

Does not make any sense.

Surely you're not serious?! Because bitter, angry adults do whatever they can to make sure their ex gets as little money as possible from them...forgetting that the money is for the child. Whether the CS calculators and percentages are appropriate or not - who knows. Reality is - the ex sees it as more of their hard earned money going out of the door, they cannot control how it is spent and if they are going to have to "do without" - well then, EVERYONE is going to do without.

It takes all kinds....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">