• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A General Query Concerning Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? THE LONE STAR STATE a/k/a TEXAS

This is my first time posting a thread, so please bear with me.

I will not bore you to tears with a long, Shakespherean-worthy story, I will make this straight to the point.

• Me...CP
  • Ex-husband...NCP
  • # of chilren...one (son, age 10)
  • Date of divorce...June 13, 2001 (went pro se)
    • CS Amount...$125.00 (which will increase to about $310.00 soon, as I filed for an increase)

I wish to know this: what is child support really?

I heard that "it's for the NCP's contribution for the child's needs" and I also heard "it's to reimburse the CP for a portion of the NCP's share of the child's expenses paid out by the CP".

Please, enlighten me. I apologize if I sound like a total dunce. I just wish to clarify this conundrum (sp?).What is the name of your state?

haiku

Both definitions are correct and the same really. Use whichever one makes you comfortable. Child support is for the NCPs share of the childs costs, whether you look at that as a "current" share, or reimbursment of costs already spent, doesn't really matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">