• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A general question about child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KatB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If a mother is on welfare, does the state always go after the father for reimbursement or not?

My friend and her boyfriend have two kids together and she is on welfare. She gets 600+ a month from welfare. They broke up and she refuse to file for any child support or custody because she say if she do, she will get less from the father since the father works at a min wage job.

KatB

And BOY WILL THEY!!!

Is she reporting the money he's been giving her? Cuz he should stop.
He's not giving her any money at all. She don't have a job either so she rely on the welfare money to support her kids.

I was curious since the state didn't come after the father. I thought the state do.

mistoffolees

He's not giving her any money at all. She don't have a job either so she rely on the welfare money to support her kids.

I was curious since the state didn't come after the father. I thought the state do.
It usually takes some time for them to get around to it.

CSO286

How long has she been on assistance? It can take CSED some time to set up the case.

Did she inform her welfare case worker that she and the father had broken up? Has he left the household?

The only reason i know of for the state not pursuing child support is if there is a valid claim of good cause--meaning the mother has a fear for her safety or the safety of the children should the state pursue child support.

Last edited:

KatB

How long has she been on assistance? It can take CSED some time to set up the case.

Did she informa her welfare case worker that she and the father had broken up? Has he left the household?

The only reason i know of for the state not pursuing child support is if there is a valid claim of good cause--meaning the mother has a fear for her safety or the safety of the children should the state pursue child support.
I'm not sure how long she's been on assistance but her two kids are 4 and 3. They moved out and she moved in with her parents. He moved in with his friends. I asked her about filing but she say she will get less plus, she don't want her ex bf to pay if she can get assistance instead.

CSO286

I'm not sure how long she's been on assistance but her two kids are 4 and 3. They moved out and she moved in with her parents. He moved in with his friends. I asked her about filing but she say she will get less plus, she don't want her ex bf to pay if she can get assistance instead.
Get less what? Cash assistance from the state? If she didn't report that he is not in the home, she's committing welfare fraud.

And if she is getting assistance from the state, then she is required to cooperate with Child Support. There is no "instead".

KatB

Get less what? Cash assistance from the state? If she didn't report that he is not in the home, she's committing welfare fraud.

And if she is getting assistance from the state, then she is required to cooperate with Child Support. There is no "instead".
She say she will get less child support from the father since the father only have a min wage job so she would rather get assistance since she get 600+ a month from welfare. Plus, she don't want her ex bf to pay her if she can get assistance. That's why I was wondering about the state going after the father for reimbursement.

Welfare fraud? I need to link her to this site!!

Isis1

She say she will get less child support from the father since the father only have a min wage job so she would rather get assistance since she get 600+ a month from welfare. Plus, she don't want her ex bf to pay her if she can get assistance. That's why I was wondering about the state going after the father for reimbursement.

Welfare fraud? I need to link her to this site!!
Yes you do!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">