• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting away with not paying child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeffmcd

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My attorney just told me that a divorced parent no obligation to tell his ex-spouse of his income and that if he or she found out later that that parent was making more money, that parent would not have to pay retroactive child support. That seems unbeliveable to me. Is that true?

NotSoNew

no neither parent has to tell the other of their income unless they are ordered to do so. if there were an income increase the support is only increased back to the date of filing, not the date of the pay increase itself.

jeffmcd

Thanks for the info. So divorcing parents have to tell each other if and where they work but not their incomes? Do I have to tell her my work address? My attorney says to tell her as little as possible. But isn't it reasonable for my ex-wife to know where I work? Or is it?

NotSoNew

no you do not have to tell her where you work unless you are ordered to do so. your attorney probably says to tell her as little as possible because if she knows where you work she can find a way to find out how much you make. if you dont mind then feel free to tell her! but you dont HAVE to.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
NotSoNew said:
no neither parent has to tell the other of their income unless they are ordered to do so. if there were an income increase the support is only increased back to the date of filing, not the date of the pay increase itself.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. In some states, CSEA requires obligors to tell of ANY increase in pay and if the parent doesn't tell then the parent could be in major trouble and any increase would revert back to the time of the pay change. Watch telling people that CS is only increased to date of filing not the date of the pay increase itself. That is wrong.

LdiJ

Also, your child's other parent really does need to know where you work. You need to be reachable in an emergency.

Mediate This!

LdiJ said:
Also, your child's other parent really does need to know where you work. You need to be reachable in an emergency.
Let's be realistic here...unless it's clearly specified in a court order, as long as the other parent has an emergency contact number, the employment information is moot. Many people want it because they want to keep dibs on their ex.

ceara19

Mediate This! said:
Let's be realistic here...unless it's clearly specified in a court order, as long as the other parent has an emergency contact number, the employment information is moot. Many people want it because they want to keep dibs on their ex.
It doesn't matter WHY the other parent wants the information. Most CO's do state that each party must notify the other of any change of address or change if employment. Even if the OP's doesn't, if the other parent has to take the matter to court, he'll end up looking like a petty jacka$$.

BelizeBreeze

jeffmcd said:
What is the name of your state? Maryland

My attorney just told me that a divorced parent no obligation to tell his ex-spouse of his income and that if he or she found out later that that parent was making more money, that parent would not have to pay retroactive child support. That seems unbeliveable to me. Is that true?
Your attorney is correct.

Under Maryland statutes, neither party is obligated to inform the other of any changes of circumstances pertaining to employment and/or income except in the process of a modification or original proceeding to establish child support amounts.

The relevant statute cite is Source: Maryland Code : FAMILY LAW : TITLE 12. CHILD SUPPORT : SUBTITLE 2. CHILD SUPPORT GUIDELINES : § 12-203. Forms; verification of income. which can be found HERE.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">