• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting back child support after child turns 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annde469

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My divorce was final in April 2007. My divorce decree has the child support order in it. I never received any child support from my ex-husband and when I attempted to pursue it last year, I was unable to afford the attorney fees. My son turned 18 in Aug 2009. Can I still pusue back child support?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My divorce was final in April 2007. My divorce decree has the child support order in it. I never received any child support from my ex-husband and when I attempted to pursue it last year, I was unable to afford the attorney fees. My son turned 18 in Aug 2009. Can I still pusue back child support?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
It's too bad that you didn't go to your state CSE agency to have the order enforced before your son turned 18. They would have been able to take action at that time.

Yes, you can still persue payment but since your son is over 18 you will have to do this on your own, or hire an attorney.

Do you know where ex lives and where he works?
If you do, contact your court clerk's office to find out where you can find the forms you'll need to file to get an order for the arrears.

Actually OP can apply for services through her state's IV-D agency to enforce on her arrears collections.

This would also allow for federal tax interceptions, liens, etc.

annde469

Thank you so much!

I was able to go online and print all the paperwork to start the process of obtaining the unpaid child support from my ex. I really appreciate all of your advice and the time you generously gave. :D

nextwife

Have you had contact with the father? Is he still alive? Does he have a garnishable source of income? Assets?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">