• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting a Child Support Petition filed in another state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

What can I do to establish a child support order for my children's father who is incarcerated in New Yorlk? I know he gets out in February, and then he will be no where to be found, Can I serve him while he is in jail and then get a court date that is in March? Where do I file New York or Georgia? Do I have to go to court if it is in New York? What if he doesn't show up to court if it is in Georgia? Can the judge just order an amount without him being there? Can I testify over the phone or something. How come there is no family court in Georgia, or forms where you can file the petition yourself, New York has forms that you can do it your self? Georgia child support enforcement is a joke, they take months and months and then they tell you oh we can't find the non-custodial parent even though you have provisded them with everything they need to find them, They just juice you out of administration fees! HELP!

Phnx02

vivarantthang said:

What can I do to establish a child support order for my children's father who is incarcerated in New Yorlk? I know he gets out in February, and then he will be no where to be found, Can I serve him while he is in jail and then get a court date that is in March? Where do I file New York or Georgia? Do I have to go to court if it is in New York? What if he doesn't show up to court if it is in Georgia? Can the judge just order an amount without him being there? Can I testify over the phone or something. How come there is no family court in Georgia, or forms where you can file the petition yourself, New York has forms that you can do it your self? Georgia child support enforcement is a joke, they take months and months and then they tell you oh we can't find the non-custodial parent even though you have provisded them with everything they need to find them, They just juice you out of administration fees! HELP!
I believe you've posted your message before, and got quite a few responses......you were wondering if you should fly to NY and serve him in jail yourself....??? No, you can hire someone in GA to do this for you. Contact your state child support office to get alot of your questions answered. You can serve him while still in jail, when the court date will be is determined by when the next date is available.....usually it's months out. If the hearing is in NY, you'll have to show since your the one filing the case....unless you can hire an attorney to appear for you. If your ex doesn't show, sometimes the courts will give him a continuance....another chance to appear, sometimes, the courts will rule anyways in his absence.

I'm sure there is a family court in GA - there's one in every state....availability of "do it yourself forms" is another matter.....do research. Since the case is between 2 different states, I would suggest you NOT try to do this yourself......contact your state AG office for assistance.....it will take time, but they will do all the work for you at no cost.

Phnx02

Another suggestion......there is another family law/child support message board on the internet that is real good and I do know a few lawyers answer questions on a regular basis.....it's www.prairielaw.com. You will have to register, but it's free. Scroll down to family law and you will see many different forums.....there isn't one for GA but there is one for NY! Post there or on the general child support forum. 2 lawyers answer questions daily - I guess as a hobby - their display names are Ares and Lynn. If you get a response from either of these two, you can bet they know what they're talking about! Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">