• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting daycare sign in and out sheets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmbgirlno1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

My ex husband been asking for the daycare to provide him copies of the sign in and out sheet. I don't believe he has the right to it since I'm the one who enrolled into daycare and pays for it. He's only there every other Friday to pick up.

Just because he has 30% legal rights doesn't mean he gets to see these paper? He just wants to use them to show the court that she's in daycare most of the day while she could be with him.

Does he have this rights?

Thanks for answering!:)

dad43

if the child can be with him, why pay for daycare? and if wants to use them to gain more visitation is there a reason for him not too? and, why are you worried about it?

i don't know if he can get the physical sheets, but i do imagine he could easily find out when the child is there. not just that, how is he "trying"? when i or my wife pick up our son from daycare, we see when the other picked up or dropped off, b/c they use the same sheet for an entire week. so it's very easy for me or her to look and see what times he was DO'd or PU'd...

unless your ex is having the issue i'm having, that your child is not in daycare as much as you say s/he is, or s/he is there for no reason.

and although child support isn't itemized, i do imagine a portion of the child support covers child care:rolleyes: so why isn't he entitled to it? and how do you only get 30% LEGAL custody? (that could just be me, i always figured it was 50/50 or full)

Proserpina

My ex husband been asking for the daycare to provide him copies of the sign in and out sheet. I don't believe he has the right to it since I'm the one who enrolled into daycare and pays for it. He's only there every other Friday to pick up.

Just because he has 30% legal rights doesn't mean he gets to see these paper? He just wants to use them to show the court that she's in daycare most of the day while she could be with him.

Why are you so reluctant?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

There is no such thing as 30% legal rights. He either has joint legal or he doesn't. And even without joint legal as the NCP he still has rights to all daycare records. This would be a daycare record. Dad should take you and the daycare provider to court for contempt if those sheets are not provided.

Oh and that is a very good reason for dad to get those sheets. Dad should be able to spend time with his child instead of the child being in daycare.

momofrose

Yes he absolutely has these rights! Good for him!!

dmbgirlno1

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for those that reply. Some were a bit harsh without knowing the full story but I do thank you.

I mistyped eariler. He has 50/50 legal 30% physical. I just find it an invasion of privacy that he's getting these sheets so he can keep track of where the child is at all time and then ask her why grandpa, uncle, etc, etc is picking her up? Why isn't mommy? Why should he know this information? It's during my custody time not his.

But I'm sure he is going to use it to show that a single mom is working all day and that's why she's in summer camp / daycare everyday. He's never cared before to see his child but now that he is remarried, he wants more custody. He even wrote in his declaration that now that he's married his wife can take care of her. Does that really sound like a father that wants to see the child more or someone who just wants to pay less child support? I can go on and on as to why I don't feel comfortable that he gets more custody but few of the reasons is he is verbal to the child and has shown some lack of parental guidance by leaving her in a car while he eats dinner in a resturant.

This post is getting long and don't mean to take up ones time but I thank those who have replied.

I just don't understand why he should get the time sheets of days when it's during my custody time.

Thank you

Isis1

point of the story, dad is legally entitled to any information regarding his child.

regardless if you were paying the full costs of daycare. even if dad never paid of dime of support his entire life. he is still entitled.

now, getting those sheets, might be a different story. given there are other children's names on those sheets with other parents' names, dad might not be able to get them without a subpeona.

Ironwil

In nearly all cases, the parent that has the least percentage of physical custody is responsible for a larger percentage of the child care and other expenses. That being the case, it is only reasonable for him to get access to these records. I'm not saying you do this, but many people report expenses in excess to what actually occurs. The only way he can be certain the money he's paying is being used for its purpose are records like these.

You're correct in that we don't know the entire story, but I've found that in many cases those most involved don't really know their own story as well as they thought. This is due to the fact that they are too emotionally invested in it to get an objective perspective. Perhaps your ex is only interested in seeing his child now to cause problems for you. Or perhaps he didn't seem interested until he remarried because he didn't have as much income and stability until he remarried. It's difficult to say with any certainty. People with a grudge (and who's ex doesn't have a grudge?) tend to lean towards the first option, which makes their ex look the worst. It could be true, but a court can't make that kind of distinction.

The brass tacks are that both parents have a lot of continued responsibilities to their child(ren). Many are emotional (don't drag them into the mess, love them unconditionally, etc.) and some legal, like this.

Isis1

That being the case, it is only reasonable for him to get access to these records. I'm not saying you do this, but many people report expenses in excess to what actually occurs. The only way he can be certain the money he's paying is being used for its purpose are records like these.
not to be a pain in the butt here, but those sign in sheets, do nothing for the child care expense.

receipts would be of help, attendance record would be of help. the sign in sheet, only says who signed the child in, and who signed the child out.

dmbgirlno1

Just so I understand....

Sign in sheet has nothing to do with him paying for daycare. In fact, he refuse to pay for daycare he says that's what child support is for.

Could someone give me a defintion of "legal custody" because are these time sheets consider legal documents per sa since they are shedded after 30days?

Again, why should he have access these sheets when the times are NOT his custody time? I see as invasion of privacy. Is this no different then me calling his grandmother when I know my child is with her and ask her when did he come to pick her up?

Again, thanks for all the input!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sign in sheet has nothing to do with him paying for daycare. In fact, he refuse to pay for daycare he says that's what child support is for.

Could someone give me a defintion of "legal custody" because are these time sheets consider legal documents per sa since they are shedded after 30days?

Again, why should he have access these sheets when the times are NOT his custody time? I see as invasion of privacy. Is this no different then me calling his grandmother when I know my child is with her and ask her when did he come to pick her up?

He is entitled to the records by function of law.
It sounds to me like DAD is trying to be able to spend more time with his child. It also sounds to me like MOM is trying to keep the child away from her DAD, even if that means leaving said child in the care of strangers.

Proserpina

I'm still not sure why this is such a big issue....Dad has as much right to know where his daughter is as you do.

There's no privacy violation here - he's the child's father.

dmbgirlno1

Thank you again....

Thanks for all the response. It didn't start out a big issue it was something that I wanted to understand. From what I read on the boards everyone has a different take on this situation and I thank all for their input.

Fyi, I spoke with an legal educational rights lawyer and was informed that the daycare sign out sheet is not a legal document but an informational sheet and that the daycare is not obligated to share that information with the ex. If they have a copy of the court order showing for example that the ex is only allow to pick the child up every other Friday at 3pm then they do not need to provide info on other times that are NOT his custody time.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks for all the response. It didn't start out a big issue it was something that I wanted to understand. From what I read on the boards everyone has a different take on this situation and I thank all for their input.

Fyi, I spoke with an legal educational rights lawyer and was informed that the daycare sign out sheet is not a legal document but an informational sheet and that the daycare is not obligated to share that information with the ex. If they have a copy of the court order showing for example that the ex is only allow to pick the child up every other Friday at 3pm then they do not need to provide info on other times that are NOT his custody time.

Thank you
The OG factor strikes again! :rolleyes:

Isis1

Thank you

yes they do. it's his constitutional right to know in detail about his child. regardless if it is his court ordered visitation time or not.

barring a restraining order the school does not have the right to stop dad from picking up his child regardless if it is his time or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">