• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my Drivers License back so i can work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

durango_d

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AR

My commercial drivers license was revoked in another state (NM) due to 2 years child support i paid in over 86000.00 but im in arrears for 2 years only kids are adults now (20+). I have moved to Arkansas and i have my local ID here but no drivers license. I know Arkansas is a compact state but i also read that compact rules and what they look for are different state to state.

I need to know if I go down to get my license do they look for revocation due to support in Arkansas and will they flag my license. Will i be ok here since it was NOT due to a DWI or moving violation. I need to get some work and i need my license back. Thanks

UPDATE:

I do want to add that NM revoked my license and never notified me so i drove for over a year without knowing it, i found out when i went to get a new license.

I did find this
http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas/2010/title-27/subtitle-2/chapter-17/27-17-101/

So after reading this, and looking at the one year clause, does that mean that since my license was revoked over a year ago that Arkansas is not required to notify or even look at the home state information with regard to the compact rules.

It sounds like i can either go down there and give them my NM license which expired this last sept 2010 or i can just go down there and do the process as if i never had a license in my life and be ok.

I do get kind of confused which i need help with this.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You cannot legally obtain a driver's license in a state if your license is revoked in another state.

durango_d

Am i to understand that this is for all states. I thought it only applied to compact states, i am considering moving to GA which is NOT a compact state. Also i must correct myself i just looked at the report again, it said Suspended, NOT revoked. Does that make a difference.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Am i to understand that this is for all states. I thought it only applied to compact states, i am considering moving to GA which is NOT a compact state. Also i must correct myself i just looked at the report again, it said Suspended, NOT revoked. Does that make a difference.
No it doesn't make a difference either way. While the compact requires them to sanction you based on serious offenses committed elsewhere, ALL states participate in the NATIONAL DRIVER REGISTER which is what you are going to run afoul of.

durango_d

Ok thanks for that info, very nice of you. Question, since it says suspended and not remoked, does that mean if i get stopped in AR, its only a misdemeanor and not a felony?

Also now i know why i was never notified, they are not required to notify me on suspensions.

it says

Suspensions: 1 2/3/2010

does that mean for one year? I dont know what the 1 means.

Zigner

It does not make a difference.

When you fill out the paperwork for the license, you will be asked about the status of prior licenses. If you are suspended/revoked in another state, then you will not be able to legally get a license.

The "compact" that you are talking about simply refers to whether this information is shared by the agencies in question.

durango_d

ok thanks, i fully intent to take care of my obligations but i need to get work first. Do you happen to know where i can find out if driving with suspended is a misdemeanor or not in AR. If its a misdemeanor maybe i can risk it, i have not been stopped in over 10 years, but if it is a felony no way i am taking that chance.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
ok thanks, i fully intent to take care of my obligations but i need to get work first. Do you happen to know where i can find out if driving with suspended is a misdemeanor or not in AR. If its a misdemeanor maybe i can risk it, i have not been stopped in over 10 years, but if it is a felony no way i am taking that chance.
And what's going to happen if you're in an accident? You're going to exchange information and wait for the police to take a report, or are you going to run?

Zigner

So, you don't care about breaking the law so long as you won't get in TOO much trouble. :rolleyes:

durango_d

No thats not it at all, i have not driven for 3 weeks since i got here because of it, i have a spotless record and i served this country in the army so yes i am a good citizen and i do care. But honestly they have me up against a wall, they want 900 bucks to get my license back in NM and i dont have it until i start working again, i cant borrow it. They have me against a wall and im trying to survive, sometimes you have to do what you have to do to survive wether you like it or not and im almost to that point.

I do care about the law and not breaking it, but what am im suppose to do, they wont work with me so i have to do something. If it means i have to drive for a few months to save the money then so be it ya know, i dont like it but im against a wall with no way out.

I did find this

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Arkansas Code Research Tool

27-16-303. Driving while license cancelled, suspended, or revoked.

(a) (1) Any person whose driver's license or driving privilege as a resident or nonresident has been cancelled, suspended, or revoked as provided in this act and who drives any motor vehicle upon the highways of this state while the license or privilege is cancelled, suspended, or revoked is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) Upon conviction, an offender shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) days nor more than six (6) months, and there may be imposed in addition thereto a fine of not more than five hundred dollars ($500).

(b) The Office of Driver Services, upon receiving a record of the conviction of any person under this section upon a charge of driving a vehicle while the license of such person was suspended, shall extend the period of the suspension for an additional like period and, if the conviction was upon a charge of driving while a license was revoked, the office shall not issue a new license for an additional period of one (1) year from and after the date such person would otherwise have been entitled to apply for a new license.

HISTORY: Acts 1937, No. 280, § 37; Pope's Dig., § 6861; Acts 1959, No. 307, § 17; A.S.A. 1947, § 75-341; Acts 1993, No. 445, § 4; 1999, No. 1018, § 1.

mistoffolees

I do care about the law and not breaking it, but what am im suppose to do, they wont work with me so i have to do something. If it means i have to drive for a few months to save the money then so be it ya know, i dont like it but im against a wall with no way out.
Sure there's a way out. Most states will reinstate your license if you can prove you have a job and the only way to get there is by driving. AND if you make some significant payment against the arrears to show good faith.

durango_d

If i didnt care i would not be asking on here and i would still be driving which i am not. Well then i guess i will just sit here then and not work and end up living on the street and end up living off the taxpayer on welfare. At least im not breaking any laws that way.

And all of this for two freaking years of support 10 grand total, seems ass backwards if you ask me. Its not like i ran someone over or dwi ya know.

Guess i might as well go down and fill out my welfare form now huh.

Zigner

We've already established that your level of caring is dependent on the possible punishment.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Okay, so life is hard and you have a problem. But there are solutions other than driving when that privilege has been suspended. You don't get to potentially victimize somebody else because you have a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">