• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend of Child Supporter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soccer44

What is the name of your state? MD

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not an ex-wife can get the amount of child support raised if my boyfriend and I ever got married. Would my income be accounted into the equation?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
soccer44 said:
What is the name of your state? MD

I was wondering if anyone knew whether or not an ex-wife can get the amount of child support raised if my boyfriend and I ever got married. Would my income be accounted into the equation?
Your income doesn't mean squat, married or not. (hey - that rhymes!) But when his income is raised as he gets promotions, she can get the CS increased.

frustrated99 said:
In some cases your income can be used to figure his ability to pay. Get an attorney
Ummmmm - I might have to challenge you on that. I'm not a legal person but I don't think that spouses income is considered except for in extreme cases (like the new wife is hiding money or enabling the NCP to not work). If everyone is on the up and up then new wifes income cannot be considered. It is only the responsiblity of the bio parents to support the child.

Be advised however OP that if daddy falls behind in payments and goes into arrears eventually your joint assets can be used to pay the CP. It would be wise to not have any joint accounts or own joint property until his child support obligations are met.

BelizeBreeze

AmarieNorton said:
Ummmmm - I might have to challenge you on that. I'm not a legal person but I don't think that spouses income is considered except for in extreme cases (like the new wife is hiding money or enabling the NCP to not work). If everyone is on the up and up then new wifes income cannot be considered. It is only the responsiblity of the bio parents to support the child.

Be advised however OP that if daddy falls behind in payments and goes into arrears eventually your joint assets can be used to pay the CP. It would be wise to not have any joint accounts or own joint property until his child support obligations are met.
There are many states where the income of the other co-habitator and even the child can be considered when determining child support. Two such are New York and Missouri.

BelizeBreeze said:
There are many states where the income of the other co-habitator and even the child can be considered when determining child support. Two such are New York and Missouri.
Wow. I never knew that. Thanks for the info. :)

slburke

stealth2 said:
Your income doesn't mean squat, married or not. (hey - that rhymes!) But when his income is raised as he gets promotions, she can get the CS increased.
How would one go about looking in to whether you can get CS increased?

rmet4nzkx

slburke said:
How would one go about looking in to whether you can get CS increased?
If this is for your California case please start your own thread with the facts, or unlock your thread on that very subject from yesterday. Laws vary from state to state as to how child support is figured and there is also the discretion of the judge or commissioner.

Silverplum

First, you would open your own thread so that you get the attention your question deserves. :)

Secondly, you could google your state's CS laws. Or use this and change the 2-letter code from "CO" to the one for your state in the last part of the address:

http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=CO

(and when I write "your state," I mean the state that holds jurisdiction over your case; the one in which your CS order is filed.)

edited to say: HI, Rmet! Cross-posting with you!

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Silverplum said:
First, you would open your own thread so that you get the attention your question deserves. :)

Secondly, you could google your state's CS laws. Or use this and change the 2-letter code from "CO" to the one for your state in the last part of the address:

http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=CO

(and when I write "your state," I mean the state that holds jurisdiction over your case; the one in which your CS order is filed.)

edited to say: HI, Rmet! Cross-posting with you!
Well you know the drill, self-Flagellation with an overcooked cauliflower.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">