• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

give up parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moleman

What is the name of your state? IL

Hi. I would appreciate any info regarding this situation.

Can a parent give up their parental rights if there is no adoption? My exe has
not seen our child for almost 3 years and speaks to him on the phone maybe once or twice a year. She has said she has no desire to ever see the child again. Legally, while visitation is a PRIVILEGE, I cannot force her to see him. Nor do I want to as I feel it would not be in his best interest as she doesn't want him. Yeah, I know. She sucks!

Danny

BelizeBreeze

type "termination of parental rights illinois" into yahoo or google and you'll find out there is nothing in your situation which would allow her to give up her rights to this child.

M

moleman

I did research on the issue yesterday and found info that she can for our son "to be adopted", "extreme parental disinterest - including lack of visitation or contact", "failure to make reasonable efforts", "failure to maintain contact", "no ongoing parent-child relationship. Boy, it's enough to make your head swim!

The divorce decreed she pay 20% of her income. She rarely works, and then only part-time, so it's not like she's making much of a contribution. She paid less than $300 last year.

Looks like I would need a wife to want to adopt him for her to be able to give up rights. Too bad she doesn't fall of the face of the earth.

Thanks for the info.

Danny

BelizeBreeze

Looks like I would need a wife to want to adopt him for her to be able to give up rights.
If that's all you got from your research then read again.

Extreme parental disinterest has nothing to do with your situation. Also, there are provisions for no-contact which, in your case, doesn't apply. Phone calls even once a year and any amount of child support paid is considered by the courts as contact.

Forget it and move on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">