• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Good Morning!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TiBooPo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Just wanted to say I love this site and lurk often. I have a question. I know a lot of the senior members are opposed to people asking questions for their "friends" but that's what I'm gonna do. Not even sure if this is the right forum and if you ask for additional info I will try to get as quickly as possible. Here goes. My best friend just received a call that the bio-dad of her three children has died. There is court ordered child support but he has never paid and is in arrears in excess of 50 grand. She has not heard a word of his whereabouts for over 4years. He was found dead in his apartment in Las Vegas, where he apparently was a foreman for a construction company. What can my friend do for her children? Is there something she should apply for now that the childrends father is dead? Social Security, anything? Thanks for any and all help!!

TiBooPo;)What is the name of your state?

GrowUp!

TiBooPo said:

Just wanted to say I love this site and lurk often. I have a question. I know a lot of the senior members are opposed to people asking questions for their "friends" but that's what I'm gonna do. Not even sure if this is the right forum and if you ask for additional info I will try to get as quickly as possible. Here goes. My best friend just received a call that the bio-dad of her three children has died. There is court ordered child support but he has never paid and is in arrears in excess of 50 grand. She has not heard a word of his whereabouts for over 4years. He was found dead in his apartment in Las Vegas, where he apparently was a foreman for a construction company. What can my friend do for her children? Is there something she should apply for now that the childrends father is dead? Social Security, anything? Thanks for any and all help!!

Umm...perhaps your "friend" should confirm that her ex has died before anything else. The obits should be listed in the LV paper, which I am sure is available online.

TiBooPo

It is

It is "Confirmed", Thanks!
He is being brought home for the funeral and burial.

Last edited:

GrowUp!

TiBooPo said:

If he was living in an apartment, is can pretty much be assumed he didn't have personal property. As far as Social Security (and those with knowledge of the intricacies of SS can provide some depth), it would depend on the type of gigs he's had and if his income was actually reported or if he was considered a contractual employee.

I say that because to the best of your friends knowledge, he was a foreman for a construction company, so one would have to find out if he was recieving a paycheck where taxes, social security, etc are deducted or if he was contractual, where he would recieve a 1099 and/or other similar forms and taxes and social security are not deducted. SInce you say your friend hasn't received any CS in years, I am leaning more towards he was contractual.

If he didn't have anything, then your friend, quite honestly, shouldn't hold her breath on receiving much, if anything at all.

TiBooPo

Thanks GrowUp

You're probably right about the contractor thing, I mean, wouldn't they have found him had he been working legally and getting taxes taken out? To try to get child support?

Thanks again.
TiBooPo

GrowUp!

TiBooPo said:
You're probably right about the contractor thing, I mean, wouldn't they have found him had he been working legally and getting taxes taken out? To try to get child support?
Exactly. That is assuming that the mother made attempts to locate him via SSN# and the Federal Locator Service/PRogram

fairisfair

just because he was working that way towards the end of his life, doesn't mean that he always has, he may well have built up enough credits for his children to receive death benefits in his earlier employment.

TiBooPo

Not Sure

If she did any kind of search like that with the SSN#. I know "hypothetical" is not appreciated here, and it's me that's kind of playing the devil here, her main concern at the moment is how to tell her three kids that their non-existent father is gone - forever - now. What if he had worked under his real name, had taxes taken out, had bank accounts. Would her children be entitled to anything as his heirs? I'm just trying to think of different scenarios so I can get her some info. I know she'll probably be SOL.

TiBooPo

TiBooPo

Thanks fairisfair

just because he was working that way towards the end of his life, doesn't mean that he always has, he may well have built up enough credits for his children to receive death benefits in his earlier employment.
That's what I thought, he hasn't always been on the run. What would be her first step. Should she contact the court that has the CS order?

Thanks
TiBooPo

fairisfair

TiBooPo said:
That's what I thought, he hasn't always been on the run. What would be her first step. Should she contact the court that has the CS order?

Thanks
TiBooPo
I would contact the Social Security Administration. They should be able to assist her with getting together the documentation needed to file for benefits.

nextwife

It is also POSSIBLE that he accrued some union benefits, if he was in the trades. Further research on mom's [part is needed.

fairisfair

I would also try to contact his former employer, just on the way off chance that he may have had access to any kind of life insurance.

TiBooPo

I guess she is going to call his employer, apparently he always talked about his kids, she is at a loss as to what to tell her kids, obviously that he passed away, but I guess she wanted to know more about him in his final years. I should tell her to try to get some of the other info you stated as well. It's a sad situation, luckily she's married to an awesome guy now and he has been the only father figure her children have every really had.

TiBooPo

fairisfair

tough situation. I would just let them know that "apparently he talked alot about them" that sometimes people don't get a chance in life to make things right with the people that they care about, and how important it is to show everyday, how much the people you care about are loved and appreciated. That he loved them but that he was human and made mistakes that he never had the chance to fix.

Good luck to your friend and her children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">