• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PR child support laws.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpipemaster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ct. I have a son who will be 25 this year. I have been paying child support for. I was under the understanding that in PR law states until the child is 21.. WEll obv. it's past that . They take a portion of my income tax every year. Now recently they started to attach my pay.. I owe nothing in back support. Seems like PR is screwing me out of this money. I try to contact the child support enforcement there but am on hold for very long time. I s it legal to collect on a 24 year old? he has no disabilities. Oh, let me add that he was born in the states, Ct., and mother took him there when he was 4. This seems crazy to me. Hope i explained myself clearly and thank you for any info

Perky

If they're taking your tax refund, then they believe you have arrears. Do you know if the mother received any government assistance when your son was a minor?

You might want to have a lawyer in PR handle this for you.

jpipemaster

The deal with them taking the taxes is because when he turned 21, they stopped taking it out of my check. Well, every year they would send me a letter saying that I owed for that year and take it out of my taxes.. Ok.. I figured, since i kept thinking that this would be the last year.. what a dummy I am. Well problem is that even up to this year, they took it again. Now, this week, i look at my check and child support is coming out.. It seems comical to see the dob of son at 1986 and still getting child support. i mean for the las 3 years, they have taken it once a year I wonder how now all of a sudden did they get my info and have it auto taken of check. It is not a big amount, but my God, he's a grown man now.. He should be taking care of his mother now...lol..

Perky

While it's possible that they're making a mistake, I think it's more likely that there are arrears. Since you've been unable to resolve this yourself, I suggest that you contact a lawyer in PR. If there are arrears, then it is legal for them to collect.

Good luck!

torimac

Is it possible that OP never actually filed to have child support stopped and the court order is still in place?

jpipemaster

sorry, but what does op mean.. ? When you say it had to be modified, do you mean that in order to change it to being withdrawn from my check, the mom have had to file for a modification? That's kind of funny if she did that for a 24 year old not living home. what is going on with the system out there in pr.?

Proserpina

sorry, but what does op mean.. ? When you say it had to be modified, do you mean that in order to change it to being withdrawn from my check, the mom have had to file for a modification? That's kind of funny if she did that for a 24 year old not living home. what is going on with the system out there in pr.?

No, that means YOU had to file to modify once kiddo reached the age of majority or when your court order or state statute says child support stops.

That's the case in every state, afaik.

OP incidentally means "Original Poster" - in other words, you :)

jpipemaster

lol thanks.. Seems crazy especially knowing that they just had to be viewing the judgement seeing as it has just started coming out of my check this week. In ct, where I have another child, it automatically stopped when he finished high school. Guess it must be a whole lot different in pr.

Proserpina

lol thanks.. Seems crazy especially knowing that they just had to be viewing the judgement seeing as it has just started coming out of my check this week. In ct, where I have another child, it automatically stopped when he finished high school. Guess it must be a whole lot different in pr.

CT might be unusual.

Most States do NOT automatically "stop" the support - it requires one parent to actually file to modify the order.

(How would the State know the child finished high school, for example?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">