• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got illness during divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dan2005

What is the name of your state? VA

My health goes worse to worst after long time divorce. If I need to take long term sick leave without job and income, what should I do to handle the child support?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

dan2005 said:

My health goes worse to worst after long time divorce. If I need to take long term sick leave without job and income, what should I do to handle the child support?

My response:

Then you start selling things - - like your computer. You feed your kids. That's your first, only, and primary responsibility.

Until you're dead.

IAAL

LdiJ

dan2005 said:

You can file for a reduction. However there is no telling what a judge will order. Your children's needs are still there even though you are sick and can't work. You may want to see if you are eligible for any kind of disability income.

rmet4nzkx

Unless you qualify for social security disability, after which your children would receive benefits instead of child support, you still owe arrearages and child support out of any income you receive. You just don't get to take time off from supporting your children.

What exactl;y is your medical problem?

LdiJ

Dan,

If you are really sick and cannot work then that is one thing. However in a previous thread you said that you lost your job and cannot pay your child support, and in another thread you were arguing with her over who should pay which mortgage payment.

Since you and your extranged wife have one mortgage at 1000.00 a month and another mortgage at 2000.00 a month it doesn't appear that you are without assets. You may have to dip into those assets to support both yourself and your children while you are ill.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">