• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Government Assistance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJG1982

What is the name of your state? Colorado
I pay child support to my ex on time and have arrears that are almost paid off. I want to know if she is on government assistance like food stamps, CCAP(state funded daycare), or any other type of assistance, would the state come after me to re-pay it? I think she is getting some assistance because she doesn't work. Can she still be on welfare if I am paying child support? If she can, does the state ever come after either parent to pay it back?

Last edited:

icelyn

CJG1982 said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado
I pay child support to my ex on time and have arrears that are almost paid off. I want to know if she is on government assistance like food stamps, CCAP(state funded daycare), or any other type of assistance, would the state come after me to re-pay it? I think she is getting some assistance because she doesn't work. Can she still be on welfare if I am paying child support? If she can, does the state ever come after either parent to pay it back?
AZ - the only time I have seen a state go after repayment of state assistance is if the party receiving the assistance makes a fraudulent claim. Any type of acutal cash assistance would have been deducted from your CS prior to her having received it. As always, check with your state agency for clarity.

Grace_Adler

Since you are paying child support, they shouldn't have a need to go after you. If you weren't paying, however, then they would.

nextwife

If you are NOT paying CS through the same state she resides in, I'd make certain HER state is made aware of the CS payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">