• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

restnhim

What is the name of your state? Texas, My grandaughter will be 10 in May, 05. She has lived with me off and on from the time she was born until her mother moved out on her on. She has been with me full time since she was 5 years old. She has never lived full time with her mother, not even for 2 or 3 months at a time. Now her biological father is in the picture and visiting her at her mothers home. He has only seen her about 5 or 6 times recently. They were never married. He does not know she is living with me. My granddaughter visits her mother but chooses to continue to live with me and her mother agrees since she has always been with me and we have bonded. Her father pays child support now and I have no problem with him seeing her, but what problems can he cause if he knows she is living with me and does my granddaughter have a say? I am a 58 year old single grandmother and financially able to provide well for her. Her world would be devasted if she had to go back to her moms or anywhere else.

BelizeBreeze

Since you never mentioned a court ordered custody agreement the biological father can and should file for custody. Although that would mean that you would have the right, under continuing circumstances, to file for visitation, those are the ONLY rights you may have.

This is not your child and your daughter has no rights under law to "give" the child away. there is a father and it's not your decision or your daughter's to allow or disallow custody. It's a matter of what the court orders.

Also, based on your post, the biological father has a good chance of gaining cusotdy based on your daughter's past pawning off of the child.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
restnhim said:
My granddaughter visits her mother but chooses to continue to live with me and her mother agrees since she has always been with me and we have bonded. Her father pays child support now and I have no problem with him seeing her, but what problems can he cause if he knows she is living with me and does my granddaughter have a say? I am a 58 year old single grandmother and financially able to provide well for her. Her world would be devasted if she had to go back to her moms or anywhere else.
I found this to be a lovely dichotomy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">