• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grandmother in love

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmchandler

What is the name of your state? ID
I'm searching for some information to help my 25 year old daughter.
She is the mother of a wonderful little 11 month old baby girl. The father is a deadbeat. He hasn't given my daughter a penny towards the care of this little girl. He was at the birth, his name was put on the birth certificate, but in the state of ID. (my understanding) the name is removed if the father doesn't sign the certificate in two weeks. He refused to sign.
My daughter has a good job. She is able to drive a safe car, buy hers and the babies cloths, pays child care, buys most of their food, however she is unable to get a place of her own. Because of her job, she doesn't qualify for any state help, which is very okay with her, but she could sure use a little help from the father. She's been asking him for help since the baby was born, but he refuses. She's now started asking him to sign his rights away so that sometime down the road he doesn't decide to come back into the picture and sue for custody. He's only seen the baby maybe 3 of 4 times in her life and not at all in the last 7-8 months. He has two marriages behind him, in which he supports a child from each one. He tells her that no judge in his right mind would make him pay child support, so she's afraid to take any kind of legal action, not to mention the financial part of seeking legal help. If there is anybody out there who can give me some words of wisdom to pass on to her, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you ahead of time.

LdiJ

tmchandler said:
What is the name of your state? ID
I'm searching for some information to help my 25 year old daughter.
She is the mother of a wonderful little 11 month old baby girl. The father is a deadbeat. He hasn't given my daughter a penny towards the care of this little girl. He was at the birth, his name was put on the birth certificate, but in the state of ID. (my understanding) the name is removed if the father doesn't sign the certificate in two weeks. He refused to sign.
My daughter has a good job. She is able to drive a safe car, buy hers and the babies cloths, pays child care, buys most of their food, however she is unable to get a place of her own. Because of her job, she doesn't qualify for any state help, which is very okay with her, but she could sure use a little help from the father. She's been asking him for help since the baby was born, but he refuses. She's now started asking him to sign his rights away so that sometime down the road he doesn't decide to come back into the picture and sue for custody. He's only seen the baby maybe 3 of 4 times in her life and not at all in the last 7-8 months. He has two marriages behind him, in which he supports a child from each one. He tells her that no judge in his right mind would make him pay child support, so she's afraid to take any kind of legal action, not to mention the financial part of seeking legal help. If there is anybody out there who can give me some words of wisdom to pass on to her, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you ahead of time.
Well he is wrong that no judge will order child support. A judge certainly WILL. However due to the fact that would be a third child support order, the amount would automatically be pretty low. She doesn't need to hire an attorney to get child support. She can go down to the local CS agency and they will help her with it.

He can't sign away his rights. A judge would almost never allow that unless there is a stepparent willing to adopt and take over the responsibilities towards the child. The state wants TWO parents legally responsible for children.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, until there's a court order for support, he doesn't have to give her a dime. And unless she does something to legally get support ordered, she's not likely to get any help from him.

nextwife

If she has any idea what his income is, and where the other CS orders were issued, or how much they are for, she can estimate herself what amount of CS may be ordered, using an online calculator. Then she can determine what she'd be potentially getting once there is a C.O. Of course, if there is spousal support being paid, she needs to figure that in, as well. There are maximums that can be taken from one's income, so likely there would not be a whole lot left until one of the other kids "age out".

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">