• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents - other family to pay child support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shanny06978

What is the name of your state?OH (I live in FL)
My brother (a heroin addict) and his girlfriend (also an addict) had a baby. (They have their own issues regardingpaternity and having a child while addicted to such a drug!) She "straightened out" and has been on methadone and apparently using heroin for about 4 years. My brother is still an addict perpetually working to get clean and she expects child support from him, naturally, who wouldn't! I am a single mother who receives no child support myself and my mother raised us without support, so we understand. So she called my mother and told her that in Ohio, other family members can get sued for child supportand that this is what is going to happen. Is this the case? She is currently withdrawing and everytime we talk to her she is in desperate need of money. Which, after dealing with drug addicts for years, you recognize that as a red flag. Anyways, that's a long story by itself. I can't find any solid information on this issue and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:

nextwife

She is the CP?

No, the Grandparents didn't make the baby. They are not responsible to pay CS. Even the father, if no CS order is in place, would not be legally liable to pay.

She was probably high on heroin when she made that claim. :rolleyes: However, Ohio does allow a childs and/or a step parents income to be considered when establishing a child support order but she can't just sue the grandparents for child support.

Phnx02

Why on earth are you only concerned about whether or not she can collect CS from your parents and not the safety and well-being of your baby nephew? My God, the parents are drug addicts and his welfare should be of more importance! Since you seem to be very familiar with the situation, you should be on the phone to CPS immediately. Do everyone a favor - most importantly your baby nephew and work on getting that poor child out of that home and on to a better life!

shanny06978

Phnx02 said:
Why on earth are you only concerned about whether or not she can collect CS from your parents and not the safety and well-being of your baby nephew? My God, the parents are drug addicts and his welfare should be of more importance! Since you seem to be very familiar with the situation, you should be on the phone to CPS immediately. Do everyone a favor - most importantly your baby nephew and work on getting that poor child out of that home and on to a better life!
Being on methadone is a controlled means of getting off of heroin. While on methadone (for about 4 years) she was going to school and working. Just in the conversation yesterday did she admit to using heroin "just enough to not be sick", but the baby is with her sister now and has been with her sister for a few months. She is being forced to quit methadone by the clinic and is now withdrawing from that. If I thought that the baby was in danger, I would move to do something, before the baby was born I offered to raise the baby while they cleaned up. This girl is not playing with a full deck and she is vicious toward us because my brother is, well an addict and not involved in her and the baby's life, thus making it difficult for a relationship. Now more of the drama is on the table and I hope my position is better understood.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">