• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gross pay/child support calculations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaydee0920

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Hello,

I am going through a divorce. The custodial parent makes $400 per week GROSS and most of that gross is not reported on taxes. She brings home close to the entirety of that amount. I make $750 per week GROSS and bring home $435 weekly after taxes, etc...

On the child support calculator worksheet this seems to be very inaccurate. I enter I make 750 and she makes 400 gross. When in reality we bring home roughly the same amount.

My question is how will this affect the child support calculation?

I have no issues paying child support at, I would do anything for my child, I just want it to be fair.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Hello,

I am going through a divorce. The custodial parent makes $400 per week GROSS and most of that gross is not reported on taxes. She brings home close to the entirety of that amount. I make $750 per week GROSS and bring home $435 weekly after taxes, etc...

On the child support calculator worksheet this seems to be very inaccurate. I enter I make 750 and she makes 400 gross. When in reality we bring home roughly the same amount.

I have no issues paying child support at, I would do anything for my child, I just want it to be fair.
The reason they use gross is so that you cannot increase deductions to decrease support. Your biggest problem is going to be the fact that you apparently had no issue w/not reporting her income when it suited the both of you. You may need to adjust withholding on your wages.

single317dad

Hello,

Why are her wages not reported?

You use the gross numbers for both parties when you fill out the forms. Whether she reports her income properly is between her and the IRS, not the family court. The fact is she'd likely be imputed an income very near that amount anyway even if she wasn't working, so $400 versus $300 is really no big deal. Who pays insurance and child care and the number of overnights are all going to affect your calculation more than this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">