• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Has anyone gone through a Child Support Trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was wondering if anyone has gone through a child support trial? My ex is disagreeing about everything :rolleyes: His income went from 60,000 (2004) to 18,000 (2005) and we are currently preparing for trial in August.... (I fired my attorney today so I am getting another one... because it took sooooo long to get this point, and I feel that she is incompetent this started in 2004 as an uncontested paternity, visitation, and child support)
Anyway...My question is....How do you prove that someone is lying about their income other than saying..."use common sense and look at his income change"? I know about filing petitions for his banking information, but what if he is depositing money into his girlfriends account? Can I get her info if I can prove that she writes checks from his business account, and has access to that information or those funds? I have read about piercing the corporate veil in child support cases but he isn't incorporated he is a sole proprietor.....Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

Also, what questions would be good to ask before hiring another attorney....so I don't get another doormat?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

critterperson said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

I was wondering if anyone has gone through a child support trial? My ex is disagreeing about everything :rolleyes: His income went from 60,000 (2004) to 18,000 (2005) and we are currently preparing for trial in August.... (I fired my attorney today so I am getting another one... because it took sooooo long to get this point, and I feel that she is incompetent this started in 2004 as an uncontested paternity, visitation, and child support)
Anyway...My question is....How do you prove that someone is lying about their income other than saying..."use common sense and look at his income change"? I know about filing petitions for his banking information, but what if he is depositing money into his girlfriends account? Can I get her info if I can prove that she writes checks from his business account, and has access to that information or those funds? I have read about piercing the corporate veil in child support cases but he isn't incorporated he is a sole proprietor.....Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks:)

Also, what questions would be good to ask before hiring another attorney....so I don't get another doormat?
Q: How do you prove that someone is lying about their income other than saying..."use common sense and look at his income change"?

A: Discovery: get all his tax and banking info.

Q: Can I get her info if I can prove that she writes checks from his business account, and has access to that information or those funds?

A: Yes; make her a third-party to the lawsuit.

Q: Also, what questions would be good to ask before hiring another attorney....so I don't get another doormat?

A: Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers who good family law attorneys are.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also ask people you know who have contacts in the community. I got my best referral from my realtor. She didn't know anyone herself, but asked around for me and got some names - easygoing, middle of the road, b*tch on wheels.

seniorjudge said:
Q: How do you prove that someone is lying about their income other than saying..."use common sense and look at his income change"?

A: Discovery: get all his tax and banking info.

Q: Can I get her info if I can prove that she writes checks from his business account, and has access to that information or those funds?

A: Yes; make her a third-party to the lawsuit.

Q: Also, what questions would be good to ask before hiring another attorney....so I don't get another doormat?

A: Ask friends, neighbors, and co-workers who good family law attorneys are.

Thank you! :) As you can read, I am dealing with a real peach for an ex:rolleyes:

stealth2 said:
Also ask people you know who have contacts in the community. I got my best referral from my realtor. She didn't know anyone herself, but asked around for me and got some names - easygoing, middle of the road, b*tch on wheels.
Thank You! I will ask around maybe my crabby neighbor knows somebody...:)

N

nicetryadmin

critterperson said:
Can I get her info if I can prove that she writes checks from his business account, and has access to that information or those funds??
Please refer to what I bolded above. IF(!!!!!) YOU can prove...key words!!!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Also, if he's dragging out the process, make sure that you ask for legal fees due to it. Our judge awarded them as the ex dragged things out for so long by refusing to provide all sorts of information, not showing up to court, etc.

nicetryadmin said:
Please refer to what I bolded above. IF(!!!!!) YOU can prove...key words!!!
I have the copies of the checks (two of them) written from his business account with her signature on the bottom for my child support...I copy everything before I put it in my checking:) Will this be enough?

stealth2 said:
Also, if he's dragging out the process, make sure that you ask for legal fees due to it. Our judge awarded them as the ex dragged things out for so long by refusing to provide all sorts of information, not showing up to court, etc.
I am definitely going to try to make him pay for as much as I can....I will talk to my new attorney about that on Monday....Thanks Again:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">