• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Having biological father sign over rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaStar00

Ohio. Hello all. My question is this. My son's father is a straight up dead beat. He is 33 years old and has four children who he doesn't pay anything for. He just got out of jail last month for non-support when he was just in there over the summer. My question is how do I go about having him sign his rights over so that my boyfriend who takes care of my son like he is his own, can adopt my son? The only name on my son's birth certficate is mine. To me my son looks at my boyfriend as his father since he helps my son out with everything from homework to sports. My son's biological father doens't do anything and says he will but doens't come through. Just let me know you're thoughts and opinions. Just want to say thank you now for your comments and help.

What should I do in Ohio?

Just Blue

Ohio. Hello all. My question is this. My son's father is a straight up dead beat. He is 33 years old and has four children who he doesn't pay anything for. He just got out of jail last month for non-support when he was just in there over the summer. My question is how do I go about having him sign his rights over so that my boyfriend who takes care of my son like he is his own, can adopt my son? The only name on my son's birth certficate is mine. To me my son looks at my boyfriend as his father since he helps my son out with everything from homework to sports. My son's biological father doens't do anything and says he will but doens't come through. Just let me know you're thoughts and opinions. Just want to say thank you now for your comments and help.

Are his other children older or younger than your child?

LdiJ

In order for your boyfriend to adopt your son, you would have to be married, probably for at least a year...AND dad would either have to meet the requirements of Ohio law as to abandonment of the child, or be willing to voluntarily relinquish his parental rights.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohio. Hello all. My question is this. My son's father is a straight up dead beat. He is 33 years old and has four children who he doesn't pay anything for. He just got out of jail last month for non-support when he was just in there over the summer. My question is how do I go about having him sign his rights over so that my boyfriend who takes care of my son like he is his own, can adopt my son? The only name on my son's birth certficate is mine. To me my son looks at my boyfriend as his father since he helps my son out with everything from homework to sports. My son's biological father doens't do anything and says he will but doesn't come through. Just let me know you're thoughts and opinions. Just want to say thank you now for your comments and help.

DID YOU read the newbie note? Oh never mind. I know the answer.

Ohio huh? Not going to happen. HOw about you decide to have a husband and not a boyfriend. At least for a year. Then once you have LEGALLY been married for that long, then you find out if your boyfriend wants to adopt your child.
It doesn't matter WHOSE name is on the birth certificate. Does your son's father see him ever? How often?
My opinion is you have not searched this forum AT ALL to find the answer to this question and that you really need to do so. My opinion is that in Ohio you have no chance of having your BOYFRIEND adopt your son UNLESS you also want your rights terminated. My opinion is that you are STUCK with the man you CHOSE as father of this child -- for at least a few more years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">