• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He Promised and now he isn't doing it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amherst1203

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hello

In my DA, it doesn't specify whether the extracurricular activities cost are going to be divided. I signed my son up for baseball ($265) and my ex said that he would pay half in an email form. Now he says that he doesn't have the money. Is there anything I can do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

Hello

In my DA, it doesn't specify whether the extracurricular activities cost are going to be divided. I signed my son up for baseball ($265) and my ex said that he would pay half in an email form. Now he says that he doesn't have the money. Is there anything I can do?
He doesn't have the money. If extracurricular activities are to be divided it would be in the court order. You could probably attempt small claims court but what was the consideration that your ex was given in exchange for his money? Why don't you pay it out of the child support?

amherst1203

He doesn't have the money. If extracurricular activities are to be divided it would be in the court order. You could probably attempt small claims court but what was the consideration that your ex was given in exchange for his money? Why don't you pay it out of the child support?
I told him that I could not afford to sign him up for baseball, ($265 is a lot of money) and asked if he would go half, and he said sure not a problem.

Now he is saying take it out of my child support because he doesn't have the money. I am a stay at home mom with three kids.

Another question, can I take him back to court for more child support based on the extra curricular activities (my daughter wants to do cheerleading)?

Thank you Ohiogal!

Silverplum

I told him that I could not afford to sign him up for baseball, ($265 is a lot of money) and asked if he would go half, and he said sure not a problem.

Now he is saying take it out of my child support because he doesn't have the money. I am a stay at home mom with three kids.

Another question, can I take him back to court for more child support based on the extra curricular activities (my daughter wants to do cheerleading)?

Thank you Ohiogal!
You don't work, but want to increase what Dad pays?

Oh, look: "my" daughter. Another fatherless child.

:rolleyes:

LdiJ

"I signed my son up..."

You acted alone, and think of the child as yours alone. I'm unsurprised.
Ok...now that's a bit unfair. She DID ask dad if he would pay half and he did agree. I also suspect that she asked him BEFORE she actually paid the fee.

Also, (and this isn't picking on you specifically), nobody says "our son" when they are referring to the mutual child. They always say "my son" unless they are actually speaking to the other parent. I have never once used the term "our daughter", unless I was speaking to her father. I know absolutely no one who uses that terminology either, unless again, they are speaking to the other parent.

Therefore I really get tired of people using that as a method of slamming a poster.

anearthw

If mom has no income and dad can't afford it, then it seems these children will have to deal without extra expensive sports, just like other kids whose parents don't have the disposable cash.

amherst1203

You don't work, but want to increase what Dad pays?

:rolleyes:
Please don't take my "I" and "my" out of context.

I have sole legal custody of OUR son and he asked to play, so I emailed my ex and asked him to split it.

With all of the extra curricular activities, it adds up to over $1,000 a year.

Last edited:

Silverplum

I have sole legal custody of OUR son and he asked to play, so I emailed my ex and asked him to split it.

I don't find it to be "out of context."

Get a job. Solved. :cool:

LdiJ

I think that everybody understands that extra curricular activities cost a lot of money. However, if one parent cannot afford extras, then they cannot afford extras. There is no judge that is going to force a parent to pay for that. Judge's will enforce an agreement between the parents (when its part of the custody decree) for them to share extra curriculars, but they won't force it upon a parent.

torimac

Extracurricular activities are just that-extra. If you can't afford them, don't do them. If it's not in the court order, then he does not have to pay. You can try to get the order modified...but there's no guarantee that it will be.

Trust me, your kids will survive without the extra activities. Or talk to the person in charge of activities, work out a payment schedule or a trade. My kid wanted to do theater right after the divorce and I could not afford the fees. So I offered to design and sew some of the costumes in exchange. Five years later, I am still doing costumes in exchange for fees even though I have a better budget now. Some times you just have to be creative when it comes to financing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thank you Ohiogal!
You can get a job. You can start to actually work and support your children. Then they would have more money. Dad doesn't have to pay more child support because you refuse to work. You can also learn how to say no to your children.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ok...now that's a bit unfair. She DID ask dad if he would pay half and he did agree. I also suspect that she asked him BEFORE she actually paid the fee.

Also, (and this isn't picking on you specifically), nobody says "our son" when they are referring to the mutual child. They always say "my son" unless they are actually speaking to the other parent. I have never once used the term "our daughter", unless I was speaking to her father. I know absolutely no one who uses that terminology either, unless again, they are speaking to the other parent.

Therefore I really get tired of people using that as a method of slamming a poster.
Wrong. I know lots of people that say "our" when referring to the mutual child. You can get as tired as you want. Doesn't change anything.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The term "detrimental reliance" comes to mind. OP wouldn't have signed kiddo up if not for the reliance on the other parent's promise to pay half.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Then GET A JOB. Or say no. End of story. Again, what is the consideration (legal) given to dad to have him contract to pay half the extracurricular fees? Sole legal custody doesn't give you the right to sign the children up for activities that encroach upon ANY of dad's time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">