• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

heading into major debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chs

What is the name of your state? pa In Feb of this year my boyfriend got court papers to pay child support to a girl he had a one night stand with. At the time he wasnt living with me and I excused that he sleep with her. Previously we had lived together 16yrs. She waited 14 mths before even saying anything to him. They went to court and he has to pay 165 a week that is suppose to come out of his checks and his company never did yet. Hes got to back to court in june because she wants it highered. Since then we have married. If she gets the 220 a wk she wants we will be in higher debt then we are now. It will only be putting 180 a week into our house for bills and other expenses. Can they touch any bank accounts with my name on them or the tax return? And with us now married with a 15yr son. Will this lower the amount he has to pay? thanks

Zephyr

make sure to keep all of your finances and accounts and assets seperate from his. maybe he should get a second job too.

GrowUp!

chs said:
What is the name of your state? pa In Feb of this year my boyfriend got court papers to pay child support to a girl he had a one night stand with. At the time he wasnt living with me and I excused that he sleep with her. Previously we had lived together 16yrs. She waited 14 mths before even saying anything to him. They went to court and he has to pay 165 a week that is suppose to come out of his checks and his company never did yet. Hes got to back to court in june because she wants it highered. Since then we have married. If she gets the 220 a wk she wants we will be in higher debt then we are now. It will only be putting 180 a week into our house for bills and other expenses. Can they touch any bank accounts with my name on them or the tax return? And with us now married with a 15yr son. Will this lower the amount he has to pay? thanks
Why is this heading back to court already? Unless there is a significant change of circumstance (as outlined by state admin statutes), the person collecting child support just can't "have it highered (not a word, BTW)" whenever they want.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
chs said:
If she gets the 220 a wk she wants we will be in higher debt then we are now. It will only be putting 180 a week into our house for bills and other expenses.
If you're not working, it's time to start.

chs said:
And with us now married with a 15yr son. Will this lower the amount he has to pay? thanks
Unless there is a court-ordered child support, that likely won't be taken into account. Even if it is, the savings would be minor.

So - has he been paying the support ordered in Feb? Either through garnishment or personally? If not, he can expect to have arrears put on top of whatever the CS amount is.

chs

stealth2 said:
If you're not working, it's time to start.

Unless there is a court-ordered child support, that likely won't be taken into account. Even if it is, the savings would be minor.

So - has he been paying the support ordered in Feb? Either through garnishment or personally? If not, he can expect to have arrears put on top of whatever the CS amount is.
His company was suppose to be taking it out and they weren't the attorney said for his give her 150 and then another 50 but as i told her there is 0 money in anything. And i own the house Im just worried now that were married they can touch my house and put lien on it. Cause i know if we were to get divorced he can try for half the house

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
chs said:
His company was suppose to be taking it out and they weren't the attorney said for his give her 150 and then another 50 but as i told her there is 0 money in anything. And i own the house Im just worried now that were married they can touch my house and put lien on it. Cause i know if we were to get divorced he can try for half the house
If he's not paying what he's been ordered to, then he's in contempt and can expect arrears (plus interest) to be tacked on to what he's ordered to pay. This is the consequence of his actions. Period.

If his name is on the house, they can put a lien on it. If it's solely in your name, they can't touch it. But be aware that if he doesn't pay as ordered, he can find himself with a suspended license, fines, and/or jailtime.

chs

stealth2 said:
If he's not paying what he's been ordered to, then he's in contempt and can expect arrears (plus interest) to be tacked on to what he's ordered to pay. This is the consequence of his actions. Period.

If his name is on the house, they can put a lien on it. If it's solely in your name, they can't touch it. But be aware that if he doesn't pay as ordered, he can find himself with a suspended license, fines, and/or jailtime.
I'm starting to wonder if i made a mistake marrying him after i found out about this...What do u think

MrsK

chs said:
I'm starting to wonder if i made a mistake marrying him after i found out about this...What do u think
If you have to ask strangers a question like this....I dont think you want the answer, because you probably already know it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">