• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health ins.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JKG

What is the name of your state? MA

My husband was married previously and has two children he is supporting. He was laid off a year ago and his ex and he agreed to a sum and it was written up in court. Under the divorce agreement, my husband is responsible for Health ins. When he was laid off, my health insurance picked up both of his children. His ex decided to move to AZ, no reason given. His children agreed to move with her (one in high school and the other in college).
She got a full time job and now is telling my husband he needs to pay an additional 80.00 per week to cover the cost of health ins. of the children.
Is he responsible to pay this extra money, the children are still covered in MA under my health ins?
Thanks,
JKG

Zephyr

as long as the children are insured, he has met his obligation, he should not send her that money unless told to do so by the court

JKG

Zephyr said:
as long as the children are insured, he has met his obligation, he should not send her that money unless told to do so by the court

She has contacted the Commonwealth of Mass, Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement and opened a case. My husband is beside himself, he has given her everything, the house, always willing to pay half of activities. Does he just have to prove that the children are covered in MA<. My health insurance does not cover AZ.
Thank you for your help.
JKG

Silverplum

JKG said:
What is the name of your state? MA
My husband was married previously and has two children he is supporting. He was laid off a year ago and his ex and he agreed to a sum and it was written up in court. Under the divorce agreement, my husband is responsible for Health ins. When he was laid off, my health insurance picked up both of his children. His ex decided to move to AZ, no reason given. His children agreed to move with her (one in high school and the other in college).
She got a full time job and now is telling my husband he needs to pay an additional 80.00 per week to cover the cost of health ins. of the children.
Is he responsible to pay this extra money, the children are still covered in MA under my health ins?
What does his court order say about emancipation (how long the kids are to be supported)?
Has the court order been modified to include Mom's move to AZ?
When was the child support last modified?

nextwife

If the CO did not require him to have AZ coverage, he has not been obligated to provide it. She could now get a CO to have AZ coverage. Or dad could ask that she both cover the cost of the long distance visitation and pick up the health insurance there, and he pays his share of that health coverage.

JKG

His child support was last modified June 2005 due to him being laid off. He did get a job part time and he continues to look for work in his field. He already pays for airline tickets for his boys to visit twice a year (Christmas & summer).

Silverplum

JKG said:
His child support was last modified June 2005 due to him being laid off. He did get a job part time and he continues to look for work in his field. He already pays for airline tickets for his boys to visit twice a year (Christmas & summer).
Get back with more specific info, specifically on emancipation, and there will likely be more discussion.

Further: WHY wasn't insurance modified along w/CS?
IS he court ordered to pay for plane tickets?
WHO is ordered to pay for transportation?

LdiJ

JKG said:
She has contacted the Commonwealth of Mass, Department of Revenue, Child Support Enforcement and opened a case. My husband is beside himself, he has given her everything, the house, always willing to pay half of activities. Does he just have to prove that the children are covered in MA<. My health insurance does not cover AZ.
Thank you for your help.
JKG
If your insurance doesn't work in AZ, then the children are NOT covered. What earthly good is carrying insurance that can't be used? Drop the kids off your policy and have your husband contribute to mom's policy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">