• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

startingnew

What is the name of your state? NH
My ex and I split all uninsured med/dental bills for our two children 50-50. I am remarried and have a child with my current husband. My husband has the medical family plan at work to cover all of us. My question is, how do I determine how much of that weekly expense do I charge my ex? Ex: $80.00 a week for all med/dental/vision gets deducted from my husbands check, do I pro rate that for my older two children or charge my ex 50% of that weekly bill? It used to be equal, my new husband, myself and my two children. Now that we've had a child togther there are five of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Silverplum

startingnew said:
My ex and I split all uninsured med/dental bills for our two children 50-50. I am remarried and have a child with my current husband. My husband has the medical family plan at work to cover all of us. My question is, how do I determine how much of that weekly expense do I charge my ex? Ex: $80.00 a week for all med/dental/vision gets deducted from my husbands check, do I pro rate that for my older two children or charge my ex 50% of that weekly bill? It used to be equal, my new husband, myself and my two children. Now that we've had a child togther there are five of us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Who is court-ordered to carry the health insurance? That'll make a difference.

Another thing: "uninsured medical/dental" does NOT include the insurance premium. Those are two different things.

And are you really asking us how to do the math?? Or are you asking us to greenlight the idea of handing your X the entire bill for YOUR family's insurance? If so, not gonna happen. Do the math properly, don't screw anyone, and you'll be fine. :cool:

Neal1421

startingnew said:
I would think that only a fifth of what your husband is paying would be for your child with your ex. EX: of the $80 only $16 would be for your child with the ex. If it is split 50-50, he would be responsible for $8 a week or $32 a month.

Whew...That was hard work.

LdiJ

Neal1421 said:
I would think that only a fifth of what your husband is paying would be for your child with your ex. EX: of the $80 only $16 would be for your child with the ex. If it is split 50-50, he would be responsible for $8 a week or $32 a month.

Whew...That was hard work.
She has two kids with her ex....and just one child with her current husband.

Neal1421

LdiJ said:
She has two kids with her ex....and just one child with her current husband.
OOOPS!!! :D

Man...I wasted all that math for nothing.

Oh well.

So, in that case it would be $64 a month.

ceara19

Neal1421 said:
OOOPS!!! :D

Man...I wasted all that math for nothing.

Oh well.

So, in that case it would be $64 a month.
Not necessarily. To figure the amount, you take the amount paid, subtract the amount that the policy holder would pay for the employee only plan, then divide that by 4 (hubby doesn't count because he's the employee) and finally multiply by 2. This is the cost to cover the 2 kids. That's how much dad should be paying if he is responsible for 100%, if he's only supposed to pay half, divide it by 2. If he's not ordered to pay for any of the insurance, then I just typed all of this for no reason. ;)

N

nicetryadmin

startingnew said:
As another poster asked, you need to review your support order to see who's ordered to provide the medical insurance BEFORE any moves are made.

One thing to keep in mind, which no one suggested, is that one insurance can be primary and the other could be secondary -- which would save both you and the ex money all the way around.

Unless I'm mistaken, if your ex is ordered to pay child support it may be that the insurance premiums are already calculated into the child support (this would be the case no matter who is ordered to carry the child support.) For example:

1. If he is ordered to carry it, then whatever portion you are responsible for would be subtracted from his child support payment.

2. If you are ordered to carry it, then whatever portion he is responsible would be added to his child support payment.

Therefore, the only thing you would split 50/50 would be the UNINSURED medical expenses (ex: prescription drugs, deductibles, copays, etc.)

Either way, you need to review your child support order to see how it is set up in there, and most likely, you will be responsible for paying your own premium. If for some reason he is ordered to carry medical insurance and you are carrying it simultaneously, then yours would be secondary. Since it is employee + family, your premium would not change by dropping the children that are on your ex's insurance. Your insurance would simply be secondary.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Keep in mind that having a primary and secondary policy is NO guarantee that there will be no out of pocket to the insured(s). A lot of people assume, wrongly, that the secondary policy will automatically pick up anything not paid by the primary policy, and it doesn't work that way 99.5% of the time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">