• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

almostsm

What is the name of your state? MO

Missouri calculates the cost of health insurance into the child support order.

The children live with the mother, but she does not carry health insurance over the children. However, her husband carries them under his plan because "it's cheaper than using the mother's plan."

I've heard situations where the noncustodial parent is not obligated to pay 50% of that premium simply because neither the mother nor father are carrying the insurance.

If the noncustodial parent is ordered to pay the custodial parent's husband back for this insurance, can the noncustodial parent request that the CP's husband's income be used when calculating child support?

Thank you in advance.

ceara19

almostsm said:
What is the name of your state? MO

Missouri calculates the cost of health insurance into the child support order.

The children live with the mother, but she does not carry health insurance over the children. However, her husband carries them under his plan because "it's cheaper than using the mother's plan."

I've heard situations where the noncustodial parent is not obligated to pay 50% of that premium simply because neither the mother nor father are carrying the insurance.

If the noncustodial parent is ordered to pay the custodial parent's husband back for this insurance, can the noncustodial parent request that the CP's husband's income be used when calculating child support?

Thank you in advance.
If the insurance is CHEAPER, why would the NCP want to rock the boat? Any kind of court action they take will probably result in the CP putting the children on her, more expensive, insurance.

I can see where they MAY be able to TRY and use the arguement you have given, but the first thing an attorney will tell the CP is to change the children's insurance. Then the NCP would not only no longer have a valid arguement (which is iffy at best to begin with), but they would also be paying MORE as a result.

almostsm

The original order was made with CP carrying health insurance. At the time kids were on state aid. For more than a year now the husband's been supposedly carrying them, and the CP has not taken NCP back to court to redo the support order so NCP pays half for this, so why would she take the more expensive choice in the first place?

I ask because CP's husband makes a CONSIDERABLE financial contribution to the household. He's a sergeant at some jail I guess. Which makes me wonder if CP's husband's income will be calculated into the support order? Do they do that in MO?

ceara19

almostsm said:
The original order was made with CP carrying health insurance. At the time kids were on state aid. For more than a year now the husband's been supposedly carrying them, and the CP has not taken NCP back to court to redo the support order so NCP pays half for this, so why would she take the more expensive choice in the first place?

I ask because CP's husband makes a CONSIDERABLE financial contribution to the household. He's a sergeant at some jail I guess. Which makes me wonder if CP's husband's income will be calculated into the support order? Do they do that in MO?
Here is a MO CS calculator.

http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/Childsupport/missouri/

Why would the NCP even think that the CP's new husband's income make his child support lower? If the NCP remarries, will he be paying MORE child support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">