• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tk73

I am paying half of the health insurance for my three kids to my ex wife. Her current husband carries the insurance through his job for himself,my ex,their two children and my three children. I have been paying half of their entire premium because she claims its a family plan and it doesnt matter how many kids are on it, the cost is the same.
My question is does this sound legit or am i being had?
Should i only be paying a percentage that represents half the cost of my three kids? Doesnt seem like i should be paying half of a policy with seven people on it.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I am paying half of the health insurance for my three kids to my ex wife. Her current husband carries the insurance through his job for himself,my ex,their two children and my three children. I have been paying half of their entire premium because she claims its a family plan and it doesnt matter how many kids are on it, the cost is the same.
Should i only be paying a percentage that represents half the cost of my three kids? Doesnt seem like i should be paying half of a policy with seven people on it.

That's how many health insurance policies work, actually.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That's how many health insurance policies work, actually.
Not it isn't -- not for the child support portion. In most states, the cost of the family plan is subtracted from the cost of the single plan. Then, the number of individuals (in this case it appears to be six) is used to determine a per person cost of the family portion. Then OP would be responsible for the cost of half HIS CHILDREN's cost of the plan.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not going to address the child support issue, or what formula should and should not be used. I'll leave that to the family law folk.

But I have been administering health insurance plans for a lot closer to 40 years than I want to admit, and it is quite true that on many plans, (including the plans of my own employer), there are only two tiers; individual, and family. If you are covering ANY dependents at all, you pay the family rate. Doesn't matter if you're covering just a spouse (or just one child) or a spouse and six kids; you pay the same amount.

Proserpina

Not it isn't -- not for the child support portion. In most states, the cost of the family plan is subtracted from the cost of the single plan. Then, the number of individuals (in this case it appears to be six) is used to determine a per person cost of the family portion. Then OP would be responsible for the cost of half HIS CHILDREN's cost of the plan.
I didn't say anything about child support; the first question asked was whether or not the practice (having to choose between two tiers) was legit, and it is.

CJane

This is how my state figures it:

Total monthly premium/# of people covered X Number of children = Health insurance cost included in calculation.

So, for MY family, it would be as follows:

$600/9 x 2 = 133 (ish)

Each parent would be responsible for a percentage of that $133.

LdiJ

In my opinion it is not legit. Mom is using the argument that since you have to pay for 1/2 of your children's insurance, that she and her other children are free...which a court would not buy at all. You should be paying 1/2 of your children's pro rated share of the premium.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">