• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health Insurance & Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

techietonya

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

I have been divorced for 9 years. All has been pretty smooth until recently and now all of a sudden ex has threatened to file for rights as the custodial parent. I'm sure it is a child support issue. I've not went back to court at all to have the support raised although his income has doubled.

Our divorce agreement states we are each responsible for 50% of our daughters medical bills. I have paid EVERY medical bill to date that was not covered by insurance. He has had her covered under his employers policy for 8 years. Since he started all this, I decided to start sending him copies of the medical bills for reimbursement.
  • I have paid every co-payment/deductible to date for doctor's visit and hospital visits
  • For the first 5 years, only he had her insured, for the past 3 she has been insured by both her father's and step-father's insurance
  • Was told her father's insurance was primary up until last year, now step-fathers is suddenly primary
  • Ex stated his insurance company is reviewing the past claims and is billing me for 1/2 the premiums less 1/2 (his share) of the medical bills
First of all, he CHOSE to insure her to avoid the out of pocket expenses and now all of a sudden, I am going to get a bill for those premiums?? I'm assuming this is just a bogus statement and he's just trying to push another button, but can this be real??
#2 - Should I file for modification of support given the increase in income or not stir a stinking pot?

Phnx02

techietonya said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL

I have been divorced for 9 years. All has been pretty smooth until recently and now all of a sudden ex has threatened to file for rights as the custodial parent. I'm sure it is a child support issue. I've not went back to court at all to have the support raised although his income has doubled.

Our divorce agreement states we are each responsible for 50% of our daughters medical bills. I have paid EVERY medical bill to date that was not covered by insurance. He has had her covered under his employers policy for 8 years. Since he started all this, I decided to start sending him copies of the medical bills for reimbursement.
  • I have paid every co-payment/deductible to date for doctor's visit and hospital visits
  • For the first 5 years, only he had her insured, for the past 3 she has been insured by both her father's and step-father's insurance
  • Was told her father's insurance was primary up until last year, now step-fathers is suddenly primary
  • Ex stated his insurance company is reviewing the past claims and is billing me for 1/2 the premiums less 1/2 (his share) of the medical bills
First of all, he CHOSE to insure her to avoid the out of pocket expenses and now all of a sudden, I am going to get a bill for those premiums?? I'm assuming this is just a bogus statement and he's just trying to push another button, but can this be real??
#2 - Should I file for modification of support given the increase in income or not stir a stinking pot?
Sounds like he's pushing your buttons.....insurance companies are not in the divorce business and do not get invloved with "who's supposed to pay what" according to a divorce decree. If your ex is the policy holder, then he is the one billed for 100% of the monthly premium (if thru his employer, it's a deduction from his pay). If you are supposed to pay for half of anything, then that's between you and him - insurance companies don't "divy up" bills or payments for you.

That's nice of you to have been paying 100% of everything in the past, but co-pays and deductibles both are an "uninsured medical expense"....that you could have been billing him for half of.

It's totally up to you if you want to file for a CS increase. Just remember that generally, modifications are a bit different from an original order......the courts may now take your current income into consideration when determining if an increase is warranted. If you are making more money than him, or even just alot more than before, you may actually get a decrease because of this.

LdiJ

Phnx02 said:
Sounds like he's pushing your buttons.....insurance companies are not in the divorce business and do not get invloved with "who's supposed to pay what" according to a divorce decree. If your ex is the policy holder, then he is the one billed for 100% of the monthly premium (if thru his employer, it's a deduction from his pay). If you are supposed to pay for half of anything, then that's between you and him - insurance companies don't "divy up" bills or payments for you.

That's nice of you to have been paying 100% of everything in the past, but co-pays and deductibles both are an "uninsured medical expense"....that you could have been billing him for half of.

It's totally up to you if you want to file for a CS increase. Just remember that generally, modifications are a bit different from an original order......the courts may now take your current income into consideration when determining if an increase is warranted. If you are making more money than him, or even just alot more than before, you may actually get a decrease because of this.
She also stated that his income doubled since the CS order was made. Therefore there is really very little chance that there wouldn't be a significant increase, even if her income doubled too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">